Authentication with server failed

• 23 August 2005
  • 9 replies

Badge +1
Hi,

I am getting this error when trying to connect to the service manager. I have stepped through the KB000098 and added the DisableLoopbackCheck with a value of 1, which did nothing. I am still getting the same error after rebooting.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jonathon :(

9 replies

Badge +11
Have you specified NTLM to be the Security Package used in the connection from K2.net Service Manager to K2.net Server? Please refer to the same KB article - specifically the screenshot under point 3 of 'Setting up a Service Principal Name'. Although you should not be required to physically set the SPNs, you should still specify NTLM as your security provider.

If this does resolve your problem, please let us know so that we can make the necessary changes to the KB article to make it clearer.

Thank you,
Ockert
Badge +1
Thanks Ockert,

I have changed the security to NTLM and when I select OK the same message appears.

Jonathon
Badge +11
Ok, then I'll need a bit more info...

1. Which Operating System are you using? What Service Packs?
2. K2.net 2003 version
3. Are you using K2.net Server and Service Manager on the same machine?
4. Any specific information in the error log ('C:Program FilesK2.net 2003BinK2Error.txt' by default)
5. Is your K2.net 2003 Server machine physically logged on to your domain?
6. Under which user is the K2.net 2003 Server Service running?

Regards,
Ockert
Badge
Ok I am having the same problem. This is the 3rd install that I have done of K2 and the first one I have had a problem I couldnt resolve. The only difference is this machine is not part of a domain. The reason that I am doing it this way is because I am setting up an environment to mimic a client's.

Here is the Error I got.

23-08-05 10:39:50 K2Server.Start: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted
at K2Server.OnStart(String[] args)
Badge +1
Hi Kan, Ockert,

I have just reinstalled and I am getting the same error as you Kan when I try to run the K2 .net 2003 server, and I am logged into the domain, and the server is on the same domain.

Answers to questions:
1. Windows 2003 sp1
2. K2 .net 2003 with sp2a
3. Yes both on the same machine, which is part of a domain
4. Yes. K2Server.startL: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. At K2Server.OnStart(string[] args)
5. Yes I am logged onto the server through the domain
6. It is not running

Thanks,
Jonathon
Badge
1. Which Operating System are you using? What Service Packs?
Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition w SP1

2. K2.net 2003 version
K2.net 2003 with SP2a

3. Are you using K2.net Server and Service Manager on the same machine?
Yes

4. Any specific information in the error log ('C:Program FilesK2.net 2003BinK2Error.txt' by default)
The error I posted previously:
23-08-05 10:39:50 K2Server.Start: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted
at K2Server.OnStart(String[] args)

5. Is your K2.net 2003 Server machine physically logged on to your domain?
No I am not using a Domain Model for this Environment to mimic my client's setup. They have successfully installed K2 onsite in this manner.

6. Under which user is the K2.net 2003 Server Service running?
My service is started and running under the local service account.
Badge
Ok so what we ended up doing is adding users through enterprise manager to the K2SQLUM database and the users table. Then we changed the server registration to an external user and it worked!! We are using the SQL User manager as well so if you are wondering why you dont have that database that is probably why.

Good Luck
Badge +11
Kan,

Thank you for the feedback. I assume you're sorted.

Jonathan,

I assume you are using the default AD User Manager. You've obviously got some problem contacting your domain controller. Have a look at your K2Server.config file (default location: 'C:Program FilesK2.net 2003Bin'). Your DataSource element should look something like:
<DataSource Path="LDAP://DC=k2workflow,DC=com" NetBiosName="K2WORKFLOW" Type="ActiveDirectory" />

I would strongly recommend submitting a formal support request through http://portal.k2workflow.com

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +1
Thanks Ockert,

That was the problem....the settings for Active Directory was not set in the config file.

Thanks,
Jonathon