Mi workflow is messing up my Items

Badge +6

Hello To all.

I am facing some issues with my workflow, I have a workflow with 4 differents approvers based on a category, if cataegory is A then go to approver 1,  if category is B then go to approver 2,  if category is C then go to approver 3, and so on... Now I have 1748 items in my Library and now eventually when I chose category A the this going to Approver 2 instead of going with approver 1, this is happening one in a while. If I upload 10 items probably one of them will be sent to the incorrect approver. Sounds familiar this issue? 

Thanks

Walt

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have you made sure category contains correct value?

is the decision what approver to choose somewhere at beginning of workflow?

it may happen that field is not yet effectively updated in list item when you read it in workflow. I'd try to add pause action at the very beginning of the workflow.

Badge +6

Hello Marian,

Thanks for your reply, yes the category has the correct value, since this is a library I put a pause for 1 minute at the beginning to make sure that the values are captured... For some reason the incorrect approver that is picking up when the issue appear is the approver in the first condition... I am sending a screenshot of my workflow probably I am missing something. 

204949_pastedImage_1.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I guess set condition actions decide by category, right?

so does that mean that workflow goes down through correct set condition branch but request approval action assigns task to a different user then configured?

have you copy&pasted state machine actions and/or any action within state machine?

Badge +6

Yes, the condition actions decide by category.

No, I haven't, I had issues before by copying and pasting within the state machine with other workflows but this is different... Also I have been working with the workflow as well since january and the issue just appeared. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Why not use a switch? Have a switch that evaluates the category and goes to the appropriate approver that way. It will simplify your workflow. You could also have a "configuration list" somewhere else where you correlate Category "A" with Approver "1" and so on, then at the start of the workflow, set the approver with a lookup.

Badge +6

Thank you , I will try by using a switch I like the idea I think that will fix the issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

let us know how you will succeed with switch.

I was thinking of suggesting to redesign workflow with single SM. I recall some discussions where several SMs within a workflow caused problems.

if you will have separate SM within each switch branch, I affraid you might still hit the same problem.

but let's see.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

With the switch implementation, I was envisioning using that to set the appropriate approver, and then having a single state machine afterwards that just utilizes the variable (set in the switch). Thus, still only one SM!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

aah, ok.

I haven't realized it's meant this way happy.png