Yearly Process Review Workflow

• 25 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Requirements: User needs a workflow that based on review date it will send an email 30 days before and 15 days if it has not been completed. Needs to take the approved document convert it to PDF and then move it a different location. Once it is approved it needs to kick off again 365 days from approved date. 

Solution (Attached): I currently have it working fine by using a state machine and a pause until action at the beginning of the workflow. Just not sure this is the best way to do it for performance and such.

Question: What is the best practice for running such a workflow. Should it be a site workflow that kicks off a list item workflow? Is it okay to run as an endless loop on the item? What are the pros/cons of each?

Please provide some insight in to what the site workflow should look like to kick off the list item workflow if that is the recommended path.

9932iC8173EF77490F16B.jpg

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @kalsup,

I think that rather than having every item in the list or library in a continual running state, I would have a site workflow run each night and fire off the item workflow based on a stored "next review" date.

Regards,

Patrick

Badge +3

Makes sense. That sparks a couple of questions. 

1. Is it compatible for SPO/O365 to use site workflows? I think I saw some place that Nintex doesnt have site workflows in SPO/O365. We are doing a migration soon. 

2. Can you give some insight on how you might build out that site workflow? The actions and so forth. I am assuming a Query List and For Each. Any help would be much appreciated. I don't do many For Each or site workflows. 

Thanks.

Badge +3

Curious if I am doing something wrong. When I am in the site workflow trying to set the action for start workflow it is not showing my list workflow to kick off. Any ideas?