cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

XML returned from repeating section on mobile form

I have noticed that when you save the xml from a repeating section, but submit the form from the mobile app, the XMl returns differently from when you submit the form from the desktop.

When you open the form (that was submitted from the mobile app) within the desktop, all the fields from the repeating section are blank (even though they were filled in on the mobile app and submitted).

I'm assuming this is linked to the XMl returning differently.

I need to know how to save the repeating section from the mobile app and then open the form on the desktop and have all the fields populated with the data.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Josh

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: XML returned from repeating section on mobile form

Hi Josh,

I encountered a similar issue today and was in the process of trying to fully replicate it before reporting it to support.

Can you confirm whether your repeating section has any fields within it that are actually list columns? This could happen if you'd designed the list and then perhaps the use case for one of the columns changed and the user now wants it in a repeating section. This is as compared to dragging a text box field type from the left hand field well and you can identify the connection by going to into the control settings.

This is the General section for a list column field that's been dragged in.

pasted_image_at_2015_07_16_07_11_pm.png

This is the General section for a new Text Box field type. Notice you can define the Data Type.

pasted_image_at_2015_07_16_07_12_pm.png

If any of your controls exhibit the behaviour in the first screen shot then try replacing them with stock text boxes and check whether that resolves your situation. If not, another possibility is that you are using two separate sets of controls in your repeating sections for the mobile and the desktop designs. Always make sure to create the fields in one layout and then select and copy them over to your additional layouts. When you hover over the control it should show the paperclip icon indicating that this is a shared control spanning multiple layouts.

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Hello,

Are your two repeating sections exactly the same - as in all the same controls and all named the same?

-Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes my repeating section has fields within it that are list columns. They all are, and all match your first screenshot. This is the case for both layouts, so they all also have the paper clip icon indication that they are shared between multiple layouts.

I just changed them all to text fields from the left hand side as suggested so that they're not the list columns (and copied it into my desktop layout), and this seems to have worked! All the XML is returned the same as the desktop, and when I open the mobile form on the desktop, all the new text fields in the repeating section were populated correctly.

So the solution is to not use list column fields within a repeating section, and use the standard text fields from the left hand side instead.

Thanks again for replying so quickly! It's all working now

Many thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

I can confirm that they were exactly the same. However, as suggested above, I needed to use standard text fields in the repeating section rather than list columns.

Thank you for replying so quickly!

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos