cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nintex Newbie

Workflows are cancelled by system account

Jump to solution

Hi, guys!

Sometimes i meet with a strange trouble: workflows which have an action "Pause for" are sometimes getting cancelled by system account.

This happens randomly without any human factor.

When i open workflow log, i see:

And action "Pause for" is highlighted by yellow color and marked as incomplete

What can be cause of this? From which part of farm i should start to investigate that trouble?

15 Replies
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Workflows are cancelled by system account

Jump to solution

Sounds familiar, what was the account that published the workflow?

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Could it have timed out?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi ALex,

One of our customers had a similar issue, depending on its SharePoint build version.

Do you have the same behavior if you set a SharePoint Designer Workflow with a "Pause" in it?

Could you give us the current Build version on your SharePoint farm?

If you don't know how to get it, open a "SharePoint Powershell" windows and use the command line :

Get-SPFarm | Select BuildVersion

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Pierre Fudala​ is headed in the right direction here. Depending on build and farm configuration, you could be setup with an App server that has the SP Foundation Workflow Timer service running separate from a WFE server. If you have this setup then workflows will always hydrate after pause on the App server with central admin installed on it and not on a WFE server and fail to actually continue because it has lost context with the User web context. More on it here Workflows not continuing - Timer Service and Delays

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi! Thank you all for comments! I'll try to clarify all things

I have a SP 2013 foundation farm, 2-tier, with 2 WFE servers (in NLB-cluster), both have SP Workflow Timer Service running.

Cmdlet shows me 15.0.4569.1000 farm version.

I'll find that workflow was published by account of fired employee, this account was disabled. I republished workflow under active account now, will see if it helps.

Another strange issue with this type of errored workflow: some of them shows me an error when i try to see graphical workflow log: Cannot find history for workflow with instanceId 68c2e477-86ee-47e0-a3ab-f4a4790089d7. It may have been removed from the database.

It's a strange behavior, it is not "old" or orphaned workflow, and were started recently. Who can remove instance history.., don't know.

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi,

This version number corresponds to the SP2013 SP1... which could be a buggy version...

Could you verify this? How to tell which Service Pack 1 you have installed on SharePoint 2013 - Todd Klindt's SharePoint Ad...

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Workflows that are published by disabled accounts will have troubles and there are several context related properties to be formed around the workflow Owner.

Workflow history can be removed within the SharePoint lists by any user. It can be removed in the Nintex databases using options available in the site collection, central admin, as well as using console commands.

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hello, Pierre!

I verified, my SP1 is "good" SP ) I remember that installed "good" SP1 right after re-release.

Now double-checked servers with Gossner's script​, I have 15.0.4571.1502 version installed (although .buildversion shows me 15.0.4569.1000). So, it's not the case and i'll continue to check another advices in this post. Thank you!

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

hi andrew,

Please i face the same problem,

i create site WF to get data from oracle to sharepoint using nintex ( Excute Sql , For each , Create item),

every this is ok , but when i start this WF Manually , its working for 5 min then giveing me

Workflow orclWF was canceled by System Account.

orclWF failed to start.

i dont know what i can do for this , can you help me?

Note : No Scheduled for this WF