Send Rich Text Metadata in Email?

• 19 September 2014
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

Hey All - (using K2 Studio) in my SharePoint form I have a rich text field.  When I try to email the data from that field, it a) loses all the formatting b) it displays the actual html

So how do I do this?

The attached screen shot illustrates what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

15759i85F51AF6483CF7AC.png

8 replies

Badge +7

Hi Jw

I know that with smartforms control pack there is a rich text control that provides the user with text and graphics interchange.  Have a look at the following document:http://help.k2.com/helppages/K2smartformscontrolpack/Rich_Text.html

Hope this helps!

Kind regards

Nelly

Badge +3

Hi Nelly - thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, SmartForms are not an option in this case.  It's just a plain old SharePoint list item with a rich text field that has to be emailed, with the formatting intact.

Badge +10

HI,

From what I can see, there is no HTML tab in the Sharepoint RTF HTML. Its just a div tag. It may be that some of the email reader require the HTML tag to be present for it to be rendered as HTML. To Test, can you put a< HTML> tag before the To in your email and a </HTML> tag after the RTF data field. Make sure you have selected HTML in the actual K2 wizard screen.

Hope this helps.

Badge +3

:) Mike - you have no idea how happy it makes me to see that you a) can recreate what's happening to me and b) confirm that I am not crazy!

Badge +10

Would it not work if you basically, add a code event before your email event. Get the rtf field values and then "clean" it and store it to a datafield. By cleaning i mean, replacing the opening and closing to what you need. For example.

@&lt; = <

&gt; = >

&quote = "

Then in the email evet just use that datafield value instead of the sharepoint rtf fileld.

Badge +10

I believe the replacement of escapeable characters only happens once the rich text field is embedded in an html email, which is essentially another rich text field in itself.  At that point, the replacement occours.

Badge +10

I see, I have used data fields to store html and embedd then into a emaile vent various times. In this case can you try writing the sharepoint rtf field value to a data field and then embed the datafiled to the email event. 

Badge +3

I'd like to thank everyone for your great ideas and suggestions.  I wound submitting this as a K2 Support Ticket.  Their solution: Create a SharePoint Content SmartObject and use that to reference the meta data field.  I have to say - it works!  It's not intuitive, but it does the trick.