cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Workflow to get a value assigned to a particular person

Hi all Nintex experts,

I have a list of people (over 30) and each of them has been assigned with a unique value.

We know that Nintex workflow cannot lookup people, so I have Nintex workflow with Parallel block with "run if" action which I don't think it is ideal in this case?

Any suggestion how to get that unique value quicker when a person name is filled and the unique value for that person is shown up?

Thanks a lot,

Man

Labels: (1)
9 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: Workflow to get a value assigned to a particular person

you can fill those people in a sharepoint list with two fields one is type of ID and another is type of Person.

in the workflow use (set variable) action to retrieve the person email based on the unique value that you have.

create a variable to store the unique value of the employee, for example varID

create a variable type of person, for example varAccount

configure the set variable action as following:

set: varAccount

equals: list lookup

source: the name of the list you filled the people in.

field: the name of the field that contains the account. - you can choose to get it as string or other options depend on your needs.

when: choose the ID field or the field you assigned as a unique value.

equals: workflow data - the variable that contains the unique value of that employee (varID)

hope this helps

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hi,

To your needs, I think you'd better create a list to store your "people - unique value" combinations.

Then in your workflow, set a "text variable" and set it with User Id number of a variable used in your start form, as below :

Then use a "Query list" action to retrieve your unique value, based on the person name filled in the form.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Ibrahim,

Thanks so much for your help. I have followed your instructions but still not getting the field. I built another list with 2 fields: Site Manager and Signatory Code. In the current list, I created workflows with 3 "Set Workflow Variable". One is VarSiteManager as People and set as lookup in current list with value of Site Manager (People will fill in this field); one is VarSignatorycode as Text and set as lookup in current list with value of signatory code (Which is the field I want to retrieve information) and one with your description how to Set Workflow Variable

Do you think it is the right process?

Cheers,

Man

Highlighted
Not applicable

Thanks so much Pierre,

I think Query List is great action but I am using Nintex office 365 and not sure what to do with the last compulsory field to store variables as collection. My question is how to retrieve this variable as collection?

Cheers,

Man

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hello Man,

you want to retrieve the signatory code of the site manager?

set var.png

did you get the expected results?

i read in ur post below that u want to store it in a collection variable?

in ur case, u have more than signatory codes for the same site manager?

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hi Man,

I'd like to understand more accurately because in my example, you do not need a such collection variable.

In the list, there are many entries but I thought only one could correspond to a Person.

Do you have more than one entry for a specific user?

If it is not the case, you just need a text variable or numeric variable, depending of "UniqueValue" column type in the list.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Ibrahim,

Thanks so much for your help. Yes I have got the result as expected since I need to retrieve only one value. Sorry for late response as I live in Australia and time zone is much different.

Hope you help me more in the near future as I am new to Nintex workflow and needs much more learning and support from Nintex Experts like you.

I have some problems as below.

1. Within ONE item, I got 6 results; each time one result updated, an email will be sent out. I cannot figure out how to stop an email be sent out at different result when it is updated?
  2. How can I retrieve single value of variable from Collection variable?

Best regards,

Man

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Pierre,

Thanks so much for your help. It is true that I do not need to have a collection variable. I have another case that I need to store values in a collection variable and do not know how to retrieve each variable. In my case, I have 10 values in EACH collection variables (5 collection variables).

How can I retrieve each values from multiple collection variables?

• E.g Candidate 1 - Name 1/ID 1/Date of birth 1/Sex 1 /Address 1/Contact number 1
  •        Candidate 2 - Name 2/ID 2/Date of Birth 2/Sex 2/Address 2/Contact number 2

Best regards,

Man

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hi,

I think it's another question.

Could you please mark as answer this topic and open another one ? It could be more readable for the community