cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Workflow stuck at 'Starting'

Jump to solution

I have been trying to test out my workflow but it's been stuck at the 'Starting' since last week.

I've tried across my site all the other workflows and to no avail either.

Is there something wrong with Nintex Workflow or is there a workaround to this?

Is there something wrong with the server?

Note: I could run the workflow as per usual before last week's Thursday and then this problem started to occur.

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Workflow stuck at 'Starting'

Jump to solution

Are there any error messages in the workflow history? Are there any error messages in the ULS logs?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I would check the logs as burkslm‌ suggested.   You will probably want to reset IIS.  If that does not work, try reactivating the workflow features under Site Settings.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hello,

Any answer on this ?

We are facing the same issue. All our workflows are stuck in "starting" status. Even if  we create a simple blank workflow with one step.

Very annying...

Nothing in history.

Nothing in ULS...

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Have you tried resetting your timer service on all servers in the farm running it?  Do standard SharePoint workflows also have this issue, or just Nintex?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Brian.

Standard SharePoint workflows are ok.

We've done iisreset and restart the timerservice also.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I'm no expert, but here are some suggestions for how I've solved this issue in the past.

• Under workflow settings for the list in question, check how many versions you have and clear up the ones you don't need.
  • You can also look at your Workflow History tables for this site, if they are over a few thousand you might want to think about purging.  This can be done using PurgeHistoryListData command.
  • In the Nintex database, how many rows does your dbo.workflowprogress table have and do you have any index fragmentation? 
    • I believe if this table reaches over 10M records, they Nintex recommends you purge the data.  This can be done using the PurgeWorkflowData command, but only after you have cleared up your fragmentation issues.
    • If between 10% - 30%, reorganize the index(s), if over 30% rebuild.  (I have a script I can share if you need it that was provided by Nintex for this purpose)
  • And if you do follow the above, I believe the order of execution should be:
    1. Re-Index
    2. Run NWAdmin PurgeHistoryListData
    3. Run NWAdmin PurgeWorkflowData

For more information about the Nintex commands you can reference their NWAdmin operations guide.  http://connect.nintex.com/files/folders/white_papers/entry1900.aspx

Let me know if any of these work for you as they have helped me out greatly in the past.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

hello did any one found a solution , i'm having the same problem now, and my data base dbo.workflowprogress has only 111111 ligne . so hw can rum cmd , any idea? 

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Did you try to reset the Sharepoint timer?  This is often the fix.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Yes I did , but it doesnt work also 

0 Kudos