Task Reminders cause workflow 'fail to run'. SPException CompilerError

• 24 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi there,

I'm getting intermittent errors with my workflows where I assign a flexi-task (same with task) with reminders and/or an escalation in one web app.

After the task is created and I receive the email telling me I've got a task I receive 'response no longer required' when I'm expecting a reminder (I've got the reminders set for a few minutes for testing).

It's been on and off which is the strange part where I thought I've solved it only to return. I've now been able to associate an exception in the uls logs that line up exactly with the errors, and they don't occur when the workflow runs without issues.

RunWorkflow: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: <Error><CompilerError Line="-1" Column="-1" Text="Compilation failed. This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms." /></Error> at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPNoCodeXomlCompiler.LoadXomlAssembly(SPWorkflowAssociation association, SPWeb web) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeHostServices.LoadDeclarativeAssembly(SPWorkflowAssociation association, Boolean fallback) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeHostServices.CreateInstance(SPWorkflow workflow) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOeEngine.RunWorkflow(SPWorkflowHostService host, SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, TimeSpan timeOut) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager.RunWorkflowElev(SPWorkflow workflow, Collection`1 events, SPWorkflowRunOptionsInternal runOptions)

I've discovered (while throwing entries at the web.config to see if that helps) that if the workflows are erroring, an iisreset on the web front end will make them run fine!

Seems to be a few days and they'll start causing errors again. I've made the workflow as simple as possible to try and narrow the issue, so it only contains a flex-task. I've tried creating new workflows in new lists with the same problems.

I've found a post here that talks about this error "This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms", but there's no clear solution, or even if there should be.

8490iED71C7CEE1FEDD4C.png

Has anyone got any thoughts/insights here?

Cheers,

Nick

SharePoint 2016

3 replies

Badge +2

Update: problem solved.

The issue was one of the App servers had FIPS Mode enabled, and SharePoint doesn’t support running in FIPS Mode. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/security-for-sharepoint-server/federal-information-processing-standard-security-standards

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlLsaFIPSAlgorithmPolicy, make sure the DWORD Enable is set to 0. 

Cheers,

Nick

Badge +2
"Workflow failed to publish due to non-FIPS compliant algorithms"
Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @nicktex,

I have updated 'Workflow failed to publish due to non-FIPS compliant algorithms' with steps to disable FIPS as requested. Thank you for the suggestion.

-Nick