How To: Create K2 Blackpearl workflow with sql server only, no share point

• 15 December 2014
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Please i need to create a workflow similar to document approval with k2, but with sql server only no share point at all, any help will be many appreciated

5 replies

Badge +10

Hi Sameh_Saeed,

This shouldn't be too difficult.  What i've seen done before in storing a document in an SQL table is using the nvarchar(MAX) data type to house the actual binary data of the file itself.  I'd need more information on what exactly you need to design to assist further.

Regards,

Mike

Badge +2

@Mike_K2

thanks for your replay , what exactly i needed is to create any type of workflow with sql server only no sharepoint because my actual live work does not include share point, any sample or vedio of how to make simple workflow with sql server and asp.net or any other developing language will be good enough

Badge +10

I dont think I understand, so you need to make a workflow with just sql and asp. Are you going to be using smartforms, blackpearl. If you're going to be using asp, maybe visual studio.

Badge +10

Hi Sameh_Saeed,

You should be able to create the solution with either K2 studio or K2 designer (K2 for visual studio is also an option).  While none of the videos I could find deal specifically with SQL, essentially you'll be using a smartobject tied to the SQL instance instead of one that interacts with a sharepoint list/library.

You can use a smartform to add documents and store the data in SQL via smartobject methods, from there, it should be a somewhat normal development process, which many of the K2 learning tutorials should be able to handle.  A good resource may be the document approval video found here http://www.k2.com/displaycontent.aspx?id=4287, but you will have to modify the steps to interact with SQL instead of sharepoint.

One of the differences between this tutorial and your application is that simply adding a row to SQL will not be able to trigger the workflow, therefore, I'd reccomend using a smartform to create entries, as well as using the submission of that form to begin the workflow.  From there, it really is up to you how you want it to work, you can move entries from a "submitted" table in SQL to a "approved" table, or you can add a column for "approval status", and simply use the value entered in that field to determine the status of the document in question.

Hopefully that helps,

Mike

Badge +2

@Mike_K2

I'll starting going through your suggestion, and I wish it'll working, thank you very much.