cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Workflow - responding to completed task gives error page

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have a scenario where a workflow creates a flexitask and assigns it to a group of people.

All the users get the notification e-mail that has the "Click here to respond to the task" link in it:

Untitled.png

When the first user clicks and responds to the task, the task is marked as complete - all is good.

However, when another user (or the same user as before for that matter) uses the link, she is taken to a page with an error message:

Untitled.png

If find that quite user-unfriendly (user hostile?). Is there a way to avoid this, and get to a page that in a nicer way informs the user that the task is already completed, and maybe even show the outcome of the task?

I am aware of the "Response no longer required" setup on the Flexitask, but that is not what I am looking for. Even though somebody received such a message, it should still be possible to get to some decent place when using the link in the first e-mail.

Ideas anyone?

Regards

Leif

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Workflow - responding to completed task gives error page

Jump to solution

What is the link pointing them to?  have you inserted the link or have you used the common approval task link?

I believe the standard behaviour is to take the users to the completed task which is read only so that they can see it has been responded to and what the response was?

Also - what is the behaviour of your flexi task action (i.e. first response applies etc)?

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Cassy,

The link points to the the EditForm of the workflow task - something like this: https://mysite/Lists/Workflow Tasks/EditForm.aspx?ID=172

The Flexi Task is set up to use "First response applise".

Actually the ptoblem extends to (or originates from probably) that when just trying to view the tasks from the task list itself, I get the exact same problem:

Untitled.png

Now what's going on with that?

Regards

Leif

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

do you have access to the logs to see what the correlation ID gives you?  if not, ask your farm admin to look at the details of that correlation error which should give you a better understanding of the problem...

so just to clarify, you are manually putting the link into the email for them to respond to the task, rather than using the approval task link in the common tab?

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I will try and get a look at the logs to see what the correlation says.

The link in the e-mail is the standard thing - not something that I designed myself.

Regards

Leif

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

as you said I think the issue is with the workflow tasks list and not this specific workflow.

please let me know what the logs would indicate as I am interested in the problem and resolution.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

OK - got to the logs now :-)

Untitled.png

The log entries are:

1)

Application error when access /_layouts/15/NintexWorkflow/ApproveReject.aspx, Error=Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.

2)

System.ArgumentException: Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.

3)

Getting Error Message for Exception System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Outcome information is not available. ---> System.Exception: Cannot find item with id 7018 in list 'ShiftRecord'. Check the user has

at least read permissions. Current user: i:0#.w|oss\lef. ---> System.ArgumentException: Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.  

And by examing this, I now see what the problem is: It is NOT the workflow task item that the system complains about (in log intry 1 and 2). Log entry 3 reveals this: Cannot find item with id 7018 in list 'ShiftRecord'.

To understand this, I will just give a little background on what the workflow is all about:

The users create items in the list 'ShiftRecord'. When created the items are having the permissions changed (by another workflow) i a way so the user who created the item can edit the item (but not delete it), and all other users can view the item (but neither change nor delete it).

When the user finds out that she really wants to delete an item, she initiates a workflow "Request deletion of Shiftrecord". The workflow creates a flexitask (this is the task that is causing this whole debate). Upon approval, the workflow deletes the Shiftrecord (the item that the workflow task points back to).

So - after approval the item that "owns" the workflow task no longer exists (but the workflow task itself does), and this gives the error message.

Phew - long story....

So the question boils down to: How can the user view a workflow task, where the "originating" list item no longer exists?

Regards

Leif

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

so the out of the box workflow task item will open the task and have the item properties detailed below it.  if my understanding is correct, the item details cannot be displayed as the item no longer exists?

to get around this, you may need to edit the form for the flexi task to remove the details of the associated item and just have a flat approve/reject and comments?  are you able to do that?  do you think that might work?

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Cassy,

I tried your suggestion and removed everything about the item itself from the task form.

Unfortunately the problem still remains.

Regards

Leif

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Asim MahmoodAsim MahmoodRyan Greenaway​ isn't this the same problem we had a while back??!!