cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Workflow reference

Jump to solution

I have a Nintex form that uses a list lookup for a field.  I need to insert the data from that field into a reference in an email being generated by a workflow on the same list item.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that.

19 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Workflow reference

Jump to solution

is the value selected in the lookup field in the form being stored in the item that the workflow is running on?

if so, in the body of the email notification actions, choose insert reference, item properties and the lookup field from your list.  this will insert the value selected and stored against the item when the email sends.

View solution in original post

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you Cassy.  It is not being stored.  I am very experienced in SharePoint Designer but brand new to Nintex Workflows.  I don't know how to store the value in the item.  I actually tried to store the value of the field to a variable but had the same issue.

Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

OK you can query the form data though even if it is not stored in the item itself.  Ensure the data you need is stored in a variable in the nintex form.

Then in your workflow:

Query XML Action

XML source = XML

XML = {ItemProperty:FormData}

Output XPath will be something like

/FormVariables/Manager

You will need to store that in a variable in your workflow which you can then use in your send notification action.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you for helping.  As I said I can't get the data in a variable in the first place, so I'm unsure what do do.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

OK I have created a basic form on a custom list.

I have added a list lookup field to the form (not storing it in the item itself when the item is saved).

I gave my list lookup a name "listlookupExample"

I went to the Nintex Forms ribbon and chose Form Variables.

I created a new variable called varLookupValue

In the formula, I clicked the f(x) button and I chose named controls and chose "listlookupExample", clicked Save.

Then you can query the form data in the workflow as previously described.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Ok, thank you very much for your help and patience in assisting a noob like myself...lol.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

No worries - I didn't realise you were a newbie

Here are some images to help:

form variables in ribbon:

FormVariables.PNG

create new form variable and add formula

varLookupValue.PNG

formulabuilder.PNG

query xml inside the workflow

queryXML.PNG

Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

let me know how you get on Keith Winnett

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

It works great except for one minor detail.  IT puts the list item ID # of the field I am pulling over in front of the name, so instead of Keith Winnett it says 536#Keith Winnett.

0 Kudos