validation rule challenges - won't recognize completion or holds up other flows

• 22 December 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +6

Hello!

With all my formula questions it was advised to me to try to break them down and test each part and as they are successful put them together. However, I can't get each part of this formula to work. I have a hidden field - Existing Material Job Number - that appears when the question update to existing job is answered as yes. I want that field to also be required if it is answered as yes. However, I can't find a formula that works appropriately. I've tried all the below and then some. Please help. I started with the Update to Existing Job being a check box and didn't get anywhere so I changed it a radio button and still haven't had any luck.

UpdatetoExistingMaterial=='Yes' doesn’t recognize that it is required

UpdatetoExistingMaterial!='Yes' recognizes that it is required but doesn’t recognize that it is completed

UpdatetoExistingMaterial!='No' recognizes that it is required when yes is chosen but doesn’t recognize that it is completed

UpdatetoExistingMaterial=='No' doesn’t recognize that it is required

ExistingMaterialJobNumber=='' recognizes that is required and releases when completed but it isn’t required all of the time so it needs another condition.

ExistingMaterialJobNumber!='' doesn’t recognize it as required.

UpdatetoExistingMaterial!='Yes'&&ExistingMaterialJobNumber==’’ recognizes that it is required and releases when it is completed but holds up other submissions where this field is hidden or no

UpdatetoExistingMaterial=='Yes'&&ExistingMaterialJobNumber==’’ doesn’t recognize that is required

UpdatetoExistingMaterial!='No'&&ExistingMaterialJobNumber=='' recognizes that it is required when yes is chosen and recognizes that it is completed but holds up other question when the field is hidden/answer is to update is no

UpdatetoExistingMaterial!='No'&&ExistingMaterialJobNumber!='' doesn’t recognize that is required

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what type of form control resp. list field is 'UpdatetoExistingMaterial'?

Badge +9

Hey Jennifer, this should work for you.

Are you putting Existing Material Job Number inside a panel?

YesNo != "No" && {Self} ==""
The rule for the panel should be UpdatetoExistingMaterial !="No"
And the rule for the field that needs to be required (the one that shows when the option Yes is chosen) should be
UpdatetoExistingMaterial !="No" && {Self} ==""
Badge +6

Marian Hatala‌ I started with the UpdateToExistingMaterial being a checkbox where checked = Yes. When I continued to have trouble with it I changed it to a yes/no radio button. It can be whatever works best.  

‌ Yes ExistingMaterialJobID is in a panel. I'm working from my laptop today and can't see the rules panel well right now but I will try your suggestion when I am in the office tomorrow.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

if you use Yes/No checkbox it evaluates directly to true/false (boolean) value, so you shouldn't compare it with strings "Yes" or "No"

formula to hide material job number (panel) should then simply look like this

211897_pastedImage_1.png

if you use choice radio buttons they evaluate to values to options you defined for choice control. so in that case you correctly compared them against strings "Yes" or "No"

for this case to hide material job number (panel) until "Yes" option is chosen, the formula should look like

211899_pastedImage_2.png

to make material job number mandatory if update required, you have to combine check for an update option chosen with a check for job number control emptyness.

so, eg. for radio buttons it would look like

211902_pastedImage_5.png

Badge +6

Chadd Sommerfield‌ and Marian Hatala‌ this is working now; I feel bad for the delay in my response. I kept the checkbox for update to existing and used this formula for existing material job number - UpdatetoExistingMaterial!=''&&ExistingMaterialJobNumber==''

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

no problem laugh.png

mark the question answered if you got to a solution.,

Badge +6

There's more than 1 right answer though