DotNET framework 1.1 not detected when installing SP1

Badge +8
I am getting the following error when trying to install Service Pack 1 for K2.NET 2003:

The microsoft .NET framework 1.1 has not been detected on the current system. The microsoft .NET framework 1.1 is required for this installation.

The system is as follows:
Windows XP Pro.
.NET framework 1.1 redistributable
MS Visual Studio 2003

The directory c:windowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.1.4322 exists

The registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoft.NETFrameworkpolicyv1.1 with an entry 4322 exists

The install will not give the error on our K2 server which runs Windows 2003 server.

I have tried the setup.exe from the ISO image as well as the 16MB individual product download - same error.

I have tried it logged on as both local and domain admins - same error.
I have tried to run the setup on 3 different machines, all with Framework 1.1 and Visual Studio 2003 installed - same error.

I have copied the directory
c:windowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.1.4322
to
c:WINNTMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.1.4322 - same error.

Any suggestion please?

4 replies

Badge +2
Hi

The registry key that is being read has a special permission flag, and you have to be a Administrator or User on the Local machine. You can also try to add read permissions to that key for the user that you will be running the installation. Hope this helps...please post if you still have problems.

Cheers
Badge +8
Thanks for your response jacov. After some investigation (including checking the permissions of the user installing the service pack), I have determined why the installation of K2.net 2003 is failing on some machines.

It is due to a corrupt installation of WMI (Windows Management
Interface) which the SP1 install file uses to query the registry for the existence of the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftNET Framework
SetupNDPv1.1.4322 and to get the value of the Install key.

To resolve the problem, the following steps must be followed:
Stop the WMI service (from the command prompt, run 'net stop winmgmt'.
Browse to %systemroot%system32wben and delete the directory named Repository.
Start the WMI service (type net start winmgmt at the command prompt).

The installation should now detect Framework 1.1.
Badge +2
Excellent, thanks for the great information.
Badge +8
If the steps above do not solve this issue, have look at the following link posted on the Microsoft site to resolve issues regarding WMI:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/wmifaq.mspx#EGAA

Thanks Paey Lun :)