Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
at01
Nintex Newbie

Workflow failing on start - cannot find history

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a workflow that has been doing its job perfectly for a few months now and i have come to run it today and have been greeted with this message:

The workflow is immediately cancelled by the system account. So far based on what i've researched ive checked and the item URL in the email resolves, im using a domain account that is site collection administrator and ive tried to open the workflow history list and it is currently just hanging.

We havent had any scheduled maintenance or upgrades to our sharepoint environment, does anyone have any idea why this would just randomly start happening?

Thanks

Anthony

0 Kudos
24 Replies
shrinivasnaik
Nintex Newbie

Re: Workflow failing on start - cannot find history

Jump to solution

Hi at01.

we have had our Nintex workflows suddenly failing on our development environment. This was due to a security patch released by Microsoft for remote vulnerability. This was not explicitly installed but was done as part of an automated install as they were deemed high risk patches. I made the changes on our web.config as detailed in the post below which suggests of the how to get around this issue. MS is aware of this change and is "working" on it

again check your ULS logs if the error is the same as described in the blog post below by Andrew Glasser‌.

After installing .NET security patches to address CVE-2018-8421, SharePoint workflows stop working (... 

Regards,

Shrini

Please mark answer as correct if it helps you solve your issue. Its useful for other community members trying to find a similar solution.

at01
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Shrini,

Thanks so much for the quick response, i've tested some more unrelated workflows and im getting the same results which leads me to believe the link you posted may be the symptoms we are experiencing.

Once i get a reply from our suppliers as to whether the patch has been implemented ill let you know.

Thanks

Anthony

0 Kudos
shrinivasnaik
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Anthony,

No worries, even on our development environment we had 4 KB's applied and none of them were of the same number which were defined in the article above, but still after changing my config file (web applications one) it did fix the issue, making me believe that Microsoft probably hasn't listed down all the KB's that are affected as part of this fix. So if your suppliers do suggest that none of the KB;s were installed you are still better of to make the change and see (as its a dev environment) and see if it fixes your issue. if not you can always revert your config file!

Regards,

Shrini

0 Kudos
debosmita03
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

Not sure if it is related to the issue you have mentioned above, I have been facing the workflow "Failed to Start" issue for last 5 days. I was also not able to publish any workflow and was getting below error:

After reaching out to Nintex support, they mentioned that the latest Microsoft Security update is causing the issue.

See the below blog for details:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rodneyviana/2018/09/13/after-installing-net-security-patches-to-add...

After running the recommended script and restarting the server, workflows are working fine.

0 Kudos
at01
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add an update to say our infrastructure team did, in fact implement the patch in question and were able to resolve the workflow issues by following the steps mentioned the article above.

Thanks

Anthony

shrinivasnaik
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Anthony,

Would you want to mark the answer as correct so it helps other community members facing the same issue?

Regards,

Shrini

0 Kudos
at01
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

have done now

0 Kudos
at01
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Has anyone else noticed the workflows are throwing up more errors in the workflow history since applying/fixing the .NET update?

A few of my workflows keep repeating errors before finally completing as expected, others are still in progress for much longer than before.

Thanks

Anthony

0 Kudos
shrinivasnaik
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Anthony,

I haven't experienced on my development environment where we have applied the patch. What kind of error messages did you receive in the workflow history? Did you have any specific error messages in the ULS logs as well?

Regards,

Shrini

0 Kudos