Some LazyApproval terms are not interperted

• 18 April 2016
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge +1

I have LazyApproval working if I use one of the predefined terms like "yes", "no", or "approved", but it only works for some of the custom phrases I've added in Central Admin LazyApproval Settings. One phrase, "further review is required" that was added months ago is working, but new phrases added in the last week are not working. I have waited much longer than the 30 minutes that it says it might take to take effect. I have also done an IISRESET on the WFE and then on the App server (where Central Admin is), but the phrases are still rejected with the return email saying, "Your response was not able to be interpreted. Please try again with a clear indication of your chosen outcome."

Is there some other cache that needs to be reset for new terms to be accepted?

1 reply

Badge +1

I found the solution. Maybe this was supposed to be obvious (it's obvious to me now!), but for anyone else who might run into this, here's what I discovered.

The LazyApproval Settings can be updated at the Farm, Site Collection, or Site level.

Changes at a lower level override the phrases at a higher level. (Site overrides site collection; site collection overrides farm.)

At some point in the past, the LazyApproval phrase "further review is required" was added to my site collection settings. This is where the workflow was running. Adding a phrase here breaks the inheritance, in a sense, and the set of phrases become independent from the farm's set of phrases.

Recently, I was adding LazyApproval phrases in Central Admin which is for the whole farm. Those weren't being recognized by the workflow in the site collection since the site collection phrases were overridden.

I stumbled across the list at the site collection level and realized it didn't have my new phrases I was trying to use. There is an option to "Revert back to the default LazyApproval term list for this server farm." (A similar option exists down at the subsite level.) I clicked this link and all the phrases that I had entered at the farm level showed up. I was then able to use those phrases in the the lazy approval email responses.