cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pam_lewis
Nintex Newbie

Workflow creates new item - how to redirect and open the new item

Hi All,   I need some help with re-directing to a newly created item in a different list and open it.

Scenario:  List 1  has a workflow which creates an item on List 2 and updates a few field values. 

I am trying to open the List 2 item for user to work with.

I have  'Save and Submit' button which starts the workflow and saves the List 1 item and creates the List 2 item - fields are pre-filled in  -  but it won't open the List 2 item.  I have a field with the url in it with the appended new ID number.    Workflow only runs when a List 1 item is created.

In List 1 the link is displayed in a column with the List2 url and the correct ID # (correlates with the List 2 item created from the workflow).  I click on the link and it takes to the corresponded item in List 2..  

I am trying not to do this with JS or a small JS piece of code.  

any ideas out there?!

Regards,

Pam L

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Workflow creates new item - how to redirect and open the new item

Hi,

This is not possible to do out of the box.
You cannot use a workflow to open a form/item and present it to a user.
0 Kudos
pam_lewis
Nintex Newbie

thanks for the answer...  I was afraid of that  :-(   

Pam Lewis

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

@pam_lewis ....I don't know even with JS it will be possible since you're creating an item in List # 2 using workflow. 

The process you described is:

1. Create an item in List # 1
  2. When item gets created in List # 1 it will trigger the workflow
  3. Workflow will create an item in List # 2

I'm just wondering at what point you will use your JS code !!!!

The other option is when an item is created in List # 2, you can either send email notification via workflow or setup the alert on a list for your users.

0 Kudos
pam_lewis
Nintex Newbie

Actually, on drive to work this am - I ran the flow of the saving of the form through my head and realized the steps Nintex performs while closing/saving a document and last step is the running of the workflow.   Is there a control on the workflow to put JS into?  Never worked with Web Service - would this do the opening of the document in List B ?  The link with the ID is created and saved in a field..

I'm working onPrem 2013.

Pam L

0 Kudos