cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Workflow action to overwrite exisiting list item

Hello Friends,

I have an item and I want the workflow to run when list item is created or modified. The workflow is working as expected when an new item is created, but, when I'm modifying the existing item, instead of modifying the existing list item, its creating a new item.

In the workflow starting options I used "Conditions" to compare the existing value with the previous value, but its not working as expected.

Can anyone suggest any errors in my design?

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Workflow action to overwrite exisiting list item

Can you share a screenshot or export of your workflow? Makes it easier to investigate what you have designed already.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Not enough information.

But if you can use Copy Item in your workflow, or build a new one, that will run only when item updated, checkbox - "replace existing item" can be useful.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Hello Everyone,

I have a list with some details that will be filled by users that includes the start date and end date. I am using Nintex workflow to create an Outlook appointment using the start and end date info. An email will also be triggered. The workflow works as expected and creates an appointment in users calendar. However if I change the start date/time, instead of overwriting the existing calendar item, its creating a new entry. I would like to know if there's a way to overwrite the existing one.

The workflow start options are set to run when item is created and modified (will run only if the start date is different)

Can you suggest any solutions or alternatives? Do let me know if you need further clarification.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I believe I have a similar issue.

I have a list item workflow that runs when an item changes. In that workflow I have the Copy Item action with the checkbox to overwrite an existing item is checked.

copy-item-action.png

I'm probably misunderstanding how this is supposed to work or I've set something up wrong, but every time it runs, I'm getting a new copy of the same record. My expectation was that the first time it runs, a new record would be created; and that every subsequent time it runs, that record would be overwritten; and that after 10 runs, I would have one corresponding record, not 10.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

overwrite option relates just to files and libraries, not to list items.

Accept as Solution Reply