I have used the update document command in a previous workflow to change plain text and date content controls in a word document without any issues.
I have put together a second workflow in the same site on a different document library and can no longer get it to work. The document is published as a major version which then kicks off the approval process. After each person approves the document, the content control should be updated but it's not and I can't find a good explanation why.
I have checked the tags multiple times to ensure they are correct.
Here are some screenshots. The first shows the word document controls:
This second screenshot shows the workflow action:
I considered that perhaps the document may need moving into draft mode before it can be edited but this isn't the case in the first workflow where it's working.
It's driving me nuts.
I appreciate any help or heads up on known issues with this action.
Nintex workflow version: 2013 (22.214.171.124)
Solved! Go to Solution.
I think I have a lead...sort of. There appears to be an issue with the word document I am using.
Does anyone know what elements and customization in a word document would stop this function from executing properly (xml, macros, background pictures, etc), or the limitations of the update document function?
I tested with a new document with new tags and it worked s expected. Just have to identify which elements of a word document would stop the function from executing properly. Interestingly, the workflow statistics indicate that 2 occurrences take place in a single Update Document node, but I only told it to update 2 content controls. If there was a duplicate, I would expect to see the inserted content twice in the final document.
I found the problem. There is a table of contents in the Word document. It utilities some kind of control/function (automatic and manual table of contents in references tab). This seems to be interfering with the update document action in Nintex workflow.
No solution, but I hope this helps someone else.
I had the following response from support:
We are aware the Update Document action fails to update the document where there is a Table of Contents involved.
We have replicated this issue with SharePoint Designer and can confirm the issue is also present there. Unfortunately, this appears to be a limitation of the SharePoint platform which Nintex Workflows leverages to update a document. This is also confirmed by our Community member which can read here.
To address this matter, I will go ahead and create a public Knowledge Based article. Also it would be worthwhile placing a UserVoice request as this feature could potentially be implemented in future releases.
I have raised a request on uservoice please vote it up: