Shared Mailbox in SharePoint Group

• 5 October 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

I created a SharePoint group and added a shared mailbox.  I want to send the task notification to the shared mailbox.  Using the group I created this was achieved. 

Issue:  It also sends task to others in the group who have to be there to be able to approve the task from the shared mailbox. If I remove them from the group their authorization to approve the task from the shared mailbox is removed.

Question:  Is there a way to keep the individuals in the group but stop the task notifications from going to them?

Thanks,

Suzanne

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

There are other approaches to this depending on the type of task you are using.

You can modify the notification settings in some tasks, by clicking on the dropdown that says "all assignees", select the assignees you don't want to receive the email and set their notification setting to None. Then going back to All Assigness, you can CC in the mailbox you wish to send the notification to.

In other cases, such as the Request Data action, you can set it not to send a notification at all, but set the ID of the task in the action settings into a vriable. This gets populated straight away for this particular action, so by running it in a parallel action, on the other branch you can send a notification to whatever mailbox you wish and build the url to the task using the ID that we stored into a variable. Just delay this notification for a minute to ensure the task is created before the notification tries sending. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what is the role of individuals who are member of the group but shouldn't approve?

just to be notified about existence of the task (ie. can see/read it but not approve/change)?

if so, then I'd say you need a separate group for that group of people. despite these 'readers' do not get task notification, they still can navigate on their own to the task list and approve it since they have sufficient permissions to do so.

Badge +7

Hi Ryan,

I followed your suggestion above.  My Request Data action does not send a notification, but I use the Workflow Task ID in a parallel path to send an email to the shared mailbox (after a 1 minute pause).  The problem is, when the link is clicked from the email, we get the following error: "Sorry, you don't have access to this page".  Do you have any idea why this may happen? 

When I used my own email in the Request Data action and in the separate email, it works fine.  

Any ideas? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Are you assigning your Request Data action to the SharePoint group? If so, does the SharePoint group contain individuals or the shared mailbox account? Be sure that your task is being assigned to people, not mailboxes. Then instead of sending a notification through the task, send the email in the parallel branch to the mailbox. Tasks MUST be assigned to users that log in, so if it assigned to a shared mailbox, they will not be able to complete it.

Let me know if this does not resolve your issue. 

Badge +7

You were right!  I was assigning the task to the shared mailbox which defeated the purpose of the email.  But, after I assigned the task to the people who opens the email in the shared mailbox, it worked perfectly.  Thank you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

No problem, if you can mark the solution on here for future users, that would be great.

Thanks

Badge +7

I would like to mark your answer as correct, but I am not seeing how.  I have flagged it as being useful.  How do I mark it as correct?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

It looks like the account you are logged in as at the moment is different to the account that was used to create the question. You can either log in with other account, or maybe ‌ can advise.