cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Workflow Hero

Workflow Says "Starting" and Never Starts

Jump to solution

I have encountered this before, but cannot remember how I resolved it. I must delete and reimport the workflow, I will.

My start settings are set so that the workflow will run when an item is created. When I create an item, the workflow starts, but it just stalls and says "Starting" and never progresses. I left it overnight and checked the next morning and nothing. When I cancel and start the workflow manually, it starts.

Any ideas what is going on here? Like I said, I encountered this before, but it's been a long time and I can't remember why it happened, where it happened, or how it was resolved.

25 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Workflow Says "Starting" and Never Starts

Jump to solution

What is the workflow doing?  Can you post a screen shot of the workflow?

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Andrea Pasutti

Check whether you are using any "pause until" or " pause for "  WF actions .. This will stall your WF instance. Also check for any conditional start options. Your scenario seems strange, as ‌ , please post screen shots so as to have deep dive.,

Thanks 

Bashya Rajan A

Thanks 

Bashya Rajan A

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Andrea,

are you on O365 or on-premises?

If on-premises, could you check if Workflow timer job is stuck? Could you restart timer service? If it gets hung, it could be a reason of a non starting workflow (automatic start is based on event handler and timer job I think..)

Giacomo

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Andrea,

I also regularly get this.  I also have not yet pin pointed the cause of this to an exact cause.  I have noticed though that this happens often on a new site where the Nintex Workflow features have just been activated and all I do to fix this is to terminate the first workflow that goes into "starting" mode and then manually start the workflow on that item again.  This resolves it for me (Sharepoint 2010). 

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Interesting. This is a new site, but canceling and restarting the workflow didn't help the situation. It still does it. I will keep an eye on it.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

On prem. I will check with our admins, but other workflows in our test site are working fine.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I do have a pause action at the top of my workflow, but the workflow technically doesn't start, so I'm not sure what use the pause is doing in this scenario.

Screenshots coming up.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I added a document, no conditional start settings, this is the workflow history:

And when I click "Workflows" on the ribbon:

And when I click "Starting" in the screenshot above:

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Let me clarify, when I manually start the workflow on an item, the workflow runs. When I go to upload another item, it stalls and says "Starting".

0 Kudos