Converting Word Document - Delay

• 22 May 2013
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

HI All,

I have a word document, which is the template document content type in my SharePoint document Library. 

Creating the Word document, using K2's "Word Document Event", and subsequently, updating the context fields in the word doc, with a series of other "Word Document Events" works just fine.  The new Word document appears in the document library right away.  Then, I use yet another "Word Document Event", and convert the word document to a PDF, to be saved in the same Document Library.

K2 completes the task right away.  I can see it in the view flow.  But.. the converted PDF document does not show up in my Document Library for up to 15 minutes.  Which is causing my email event to fail, becuase it can't find the PDF document to attach.

Has anyone experience delay issues with the conversion of a word document?  And if so, any ideas how to get around it?

Thanks in Advance.. Dean

2 replies

Badge +8

The conversion is done using SharePoint's Word Automation Services. This runs by default every 15 minutes, that's why you see the maximum time you have to wait is this. This wait is typically implemented using a Start rule of 15 minutes for the very next activity after the conversion event (typically the last event in the previous activity).

In development, you can decrease the timer to 1 minute. The following article covers this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff742315(v=office.14).aspx - look at the Configuring Word Automation Services section.

Having jobs this frequently in Production is not recommended.

Badge +1

Thank You!!  I had considered a 15 minute Start Rule, but wasn't sure if it would ever take longer than that... Now I know.

Much appreciated.

Dean