Workflow Import is Blank

• 23 September 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I am trying to import a production workflow export (.nwf file) over top of a test environment version. I opened the test workflow in edit mode and clicked the ribbon icon to import. I selected the export from production. It shows an empty workflow - nothing between the start and stop nodes in the IDE.

I found a previous topic for this, but the answer marked as a solution was basically akin to waiting for magic to happen. I refuse to accept that as an answer.

My .nwf backup file is a mere 94 KB in size.

I performed the export and import twice, with the same results both times.

Any ideas?

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi.

As per my advice on the previous thread you are referring to please provide an export of the workflow to test and we can let you know if it’s your environment or the workflow and then go from there
Badge +1

Export is attached removed.

It is possible this is related to a problem we had many months ago, which was never resolved. I had been deploying workflow changes across multiple sites and libraries using PowerShell. That process suddenly stopped working. I only had a few workflows to deploy at that time, so I did it manually (using this same export/import process). The problem was never resolved because it was no longer at the top of my priority list. But with this new problem of not being able to do it manually, it has now escalated.

Badge +1

So I found a solution - use Internet Explorer.

In both Edge and Chrome, I tried two different ways to import. I opened the existing workflow, went into Edit mode, and then tried to import the .nwf file over top. Then I tried to create a new workflow and then import to that. In both cases, with both browsers, it's like the import process did absolutely nothing.

In IE, the import succeeded over top of the existing workflow. It's a shame we have to use the old technology.

Not only do you have to use IE, it has to be version 10. If you have 11, go to the developer settings by pressing F12 and set the emulation/Document Mode to IE 10.

Badge +1

Thanks a lot. Unbelievable that this is the reason. 

In the past I switched to use a powershell script to import the workflow..

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Only using IE and only being version 10 may be the case for you but that is not the norm. If your company has locked down your SOE then yeah you may be restricted. As per the help files ONLY IE 11 is supported as well as many other browsers.
https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2019/current/#sp2019/GettingStarted/SupportedBrowsers.htm?Highlight=browser
Badge +2

How to import workflows, without IE, since its no longer in use? Please do suggest a resolution as this is very significant feature for us.