cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Workflow Error - Failed on Start

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have created a Nintex Form, with Nintex Workflows. The list I have created shows what stage the current item is at in terms of which workflow has been 'Completed' or is 'In Progress'. Occasionally the workflow will error and return the message 'Failed on Start', the workaround for this is to manually go in and trigger the workflow again.

How do I remove this message and replace it with Completed?

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jan
Nintex Newbie

Re: Workflow Error - Failed on Start

Jump to solution

Hi Debra,

I guess the bigger question is why is the workflow failing? Typically when creating a workflow we use a custom choice column called Status where we use states that are reflective of where the workflow is at. In the workflow we update the states in a Set Item/ Update Item action.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

I believe the workflow has timed out, which has caused it to Fail to Start. The form that is attached to the workflow is large and detailed in terms of having a number of rules for being able to view certain sections, which means that it can be quite slow in the server.

I have never used what you are referring to. When I created the Workflow the titles of the workflows automatically appeared as headings in my lists and I used them to track my documents.

Can I assume that I need to create a column in list settings called Status, with choices (what choices would they be?) and I then need to link this to set Item and Update Item in the workflow?

If you could direct me on how to create this that would be fantastic

0 Kudos
glenda
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I guess what Jan implies is indeed adding an additional column to your list, and update this column after certain steps in your workflow.

The Workflow Status field you are using now is an automatically generated one by Nintex using particular statuses, which can be very handy, but is not tailored to your workflow.

1. Create an additional status column in your list
  2. Define important steps in your workflow e.g. 'action 1' is completed, waiting for approval,.. (you could put these outputs in workflow variables)
  3. So after or before your important actions you could manually update the status field using the Update List Item Action. You could update the status with the appropriate status e.g. using the workflow variables.

This way, you could track down where your workflow is actually failing. Another way is to use the log in history list action, this works more or less the same way.

View solution in original post

jan
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thanks Glenda! This is exactly what I meant

Debra one other think to keep in mind is the contents of the "Workflow Status" field that is created for you by Nintex/ SharePoint will be cleared out after 60 days of the workflow being completed. This is controlled by a workflow setting called AutoCleanUpDays and from this article(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd441390(v=office.12).aspx‌) describes it as:

The purpose of the AutoCleanUpDays setting is to remove the association between a workflow instance and its history entries and to clear out the workflow instances and tasks. It does not actually remove the entries from the History List. By default, this cleanup happens 60 days after a workflow instance has completed, but that timeframe is configurable.

The primary impact that cleanup has on performance is that the workflow status page loads faster when users browse to it because it has fewer items to query against from the task list. As mentioned previously, cleanup does not actually remove the items from the History List, so it has no impact on the 2000-item limit. A side effect of this process is that the SharePoint content database becomes less cluttered (specifically some of the workflow tables), which may help with performance in very large workflow environments where hundreds of thousands of workflow instances may be or may have been running.