When I open the workflow designer, most actions I try to configure either don't load the ribbon interface (or any variables that are available) and cannot be saved, or it takes minutes and sometimes a page refresh before they become available. Here is what I'm observing:
Here are system data and what I have investigated:
I am attempting to get access to IE10 or later to test, but having used Nintex extensively for years in other environments and not encountering this before on similarly old versions of IE, I'm not sure the browser is going to be my fix (even though it's one of only two ideas I have right now for what could be the problem). My other thought is that perhaps having Project Server running on the farm is screwing things up, and we either need a trial of the full Nintex version that uses Project Server, or the Trial itself has a glitch. We don't really need the functionality of anything other than Nintex Workflow Standard, so I hope that's not the problem.
Thank you for any help.
What should I be looking for about security settings? It's managed centrally, so I can't actually see all the options or change anything with regard to security.
Some of the buttons in the designer needs to access some webservices to get enabled. I don't know your case, but I can easily imagine that a firewall may block some internet access and don't allow those functions to be called to enable the ribbon.
The sharepoint farm URL should be in the "secured site list".
What is weird in your case, it's that you mention cases that I haven't heard about.
Which browser do you use? try IE just in case.
I have been using IE9 and got IE11 loaded up to try that. No change; still experiencing the same problems.
We noticed that, only when we were trying to use the Nintex workflow designer (not any other function), the web front ends were getting slammed on memory (94+%). Bumped up the memory (8GB RAM available) and that didn't fix it, either.
Cleared and reset the Distributed Cache and that didn't help, either.
Also tried reinstalling Nintex. Still no fix.
A few screenshots:
When I try to open a Configure screen for any action (this is Set Variable, where no variables are getting loaded into the selection menu and the menu buttons are grayed out):
Message that comes up in the Configure popup form for an action after a few minutes (IE9):
Same occurrence, but in IE11 different message: