cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mindymac03
Nintex Newbie

Workflow: Creating Item in different list works (mostly) fine for required fields but what about optional fields?

I have a workflow with a Create Item step that creates a new list item in a different list of my SharePoint site. The Create Item settings (screen shot below) automatically lists the required fields in the other list (Surplus). I can mostly match those up with the fields on my form (except for Quantity which does not give any way to select a field on the form).

I also want to put values in a few of the optional fields. I can select an optional column from the Field drop down. For the screen shot below I selected the Disposal Form column. I don't see a way to configure it so that I'm can point to a field on my form. I can only hard code Yes/No if I go with the default "Value" option, so that won't work. I've tried putting the form field value in a variable so I could try getting at it in the workflow that way (can't select the variable here either). My question is, can you use the Create Item workflow step to include optional columns and populate them with field values on your form?

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Workflow: Creating Item in different list works (mostly) fine for required fields but what about optional fields?

yes you need to choose list lookup current item and then the field on your current item - note that only looks at your columns on your current list not controls on your form.  so if you are talking about disconnected fields on your form you won't be able to select them in this way.  which is it?

mindymac03
Nintex Newbie

Re: Workflow: Creating Item in different list works (mostly) fine for required fields but what about optional fields?

Well clearly I am not understanding some foundational things here!  Let me study this a bit and I will respond with a more coherent answer. Thank you for your reply.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Just how you have configured "Item Type" in your screen shot - that is what you need to do.

0 Kudos
mindymac03
Nintex Newbie

It's a whole new world

So this helps me with all the columns that appear in both the Supply and Surplus lists. I have one snaggle left. The scenario here is that an admin user will open a Supply list item and edit it (maybe add a note, respond to two yes/no fields). When they save it, I kick off the workflow to create the list item in the Surplus list. Those two yes/no fields are not in the Supply list (the original/source list), but I want to put the admin user's responses to those two questions in the corresponding columns in the Surplus list. Can that be done?

Really appreciate your help today.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

How do you capture the admins responses to those surplus list questions if they are not in the supply list?

0 Kudos
mindymac03
Nintex Newbie

I have a panel at the bottom of the form that is visible to admins only that has the questions with a radio button answer (not connected to anything in the Supply list, but needed when I copy the item over to Surplus)

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Ok I am not at my machine to do any screenshots for you right now but you will need to save those responses as form variables and then in your workflow you need to query xml passing in the form data and then sucking out the variable values.

if you use search on here you should be able to find examples of people using query xml with form data. If you get absolutely nowhere with that I will put some screenshots on in the morning for you.  

mindymac03
Nintex Newbie

My goodness. Thank you!! I am out of the office tomorrow. I will follow up with you on Monday on where I am. Thank you so much. You're the bees knees.

Automation Master
Automation Master