Create Site

Badge +11

I want to use the 'Create Site' action. I've never used it before and I'm trying to fix a problem with a workflow that already existed. So, I have Nintex 2010 and SharePoint 2013.

The 'Title' field is the name of what I want to call the new site. Let's say it is called 'New Site'. I want the site to show the site name 'New Site' but I don't want any spaces in the url. The site I create will have the Team site template. This site will be a subsite of the current site. Please tell me how to fill out the action.

Lisa

12 replies

Badge +11

Hi Lisa,

To remove spaces from the Title field you can use regular expression action. Add patter as s leave the replacement text empty, and the input string will be your title.

Then use this variable in the URL name of the Create Site action. All other field on this action should be clear.

But are you really using Nintex 2010 with SP 2013? How?

Badge +11

Can you please give me an example of this. My co-worker was using a replace function and kept getting invalid character.

Badge +11

See below.

example.jpg

Badge +11

Same error:

Failed to create site. "LisaTest3

" contains invalid character '

Badge +11

Can you show us the configuration of Create Site action. It could also be the url of your parent site that may be causing this issue.

Badge +6

Hi Lisa,

I have done this (albeit - in Nintex 2013), using the replace control without issue:

We prefix the site with the ID, but not necessary in your case.

Followed by an update item:

The actual value above is cut off, but should read:

WebURL/CleanSiteName, SiteName

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Mark

Badge +11

CreateSite.jpg

Badge +11

RegExp.jpg

Badge +11

Ok what I said about the Nintex version was wrong. We are running Nintex 2013 but on SharePoint 2010 workflow engine and using SharePoint 2013. Its a mess but that is what is being done.

Badge +11

Finally it works!!!

I added a 'New Create' action. I kept getting the feeling there was extra stuff in the 'URL' field in that action that I would see every now and then. I figured it would be better to start with a new action. Plus I used the regular expression action as recommended by Kapil Joshi​. Thanks everyone!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I like this. We have a site provisioning WF in place and we manually monitor the intake. My team and I get tasks assigned to us and we have a review step where we take out spaces and special characters from the "requested" URL. This allows us to catch any potential issues/errors before automation takes over and creates the site and permission groups.

We have been kicking around the idea of adding a step that would reduce the amount of changes to the proposed URL and this makes the most sense.

Badge +11

We have this because we have a workflow that allows users to request a site. We allow the user to put in a string for the name of the site. We don't want spaces in the URL though so we strip them.