Registering SQL Server Service Instance is a pain

• 2 February 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +9

Hi,

I am trying to Register the SQL Server Service Instance through Smart Obeject Service Tester Utility for one of the client Database to create some smart objects of tables. The MS SQL Server has lots of other Database for different clients.  I changed the time setting  from 30 to 1800 but still I am getting SmartObject Server Exception: Timeout expired error.

This database is newly created and not in operation and does not have operational records in the tables yet.

I do not understand why it's giving timeout error. Without Service Instance, we can not create any smart objects. Is there any other way to resolve this issue ? Registering SQL Service instance is such a apain. Please help.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Dear ,

just wondering , have u tried creating new SQL DB ? and registering as service instance ? if u tried , did it give u the same error ?

regards.

Badge +9

HI,

I have not tried creating a new SQL DB and registering the Service Instance. I tried to create a MS SQL Service instance for the DB of Microsoft Dynamics GP. Since this is a new client DB setup , there are no operational data in the tables and I think it should not take longer or atleast it should not give timeout error.

I will try to create a blank database and create a service instance. Lets see.

My question is -Is there any limitation on Registering a SQL Server Service Instance when there are 100s of tables and triggers from commercial products lime Microsoft Dynamics GP or CRM.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi IPO

I have faced this issue before. The issues is not the data in the database, but the sheer number of tables views and stored procedures. When creating the service instance K2 reads the database schema and tries to create service objects for all tables, views and stored procedures, and this is when it is timing out.

To get around this we created another database on the same server, and created views or stored procedures on this database to return the data we needed from Dynamics database.

Badge +9

HI @Andrew_Blinco ,

I exactly did the same thing. I created a seperate database and in that created stored procedure to access MS Dynamics GP Tables. This approach is the best best I guess to avoid load on the SQl Server Instance if anything need to created and need refresh time to time.