How to design a repetitive (looping) Infopath activity

• 22 August 2012
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I have an approval process where an InfoPath work activity
may loop any number of times. Specifically, when a form is initially submitted,
one of the possible outcomes is ‘In Progress’ in which the Originator may
continue working on the item and submit when ready. This is also the activity a subsequent rework outcome would route to.

My problem is two-fold: I can't seem to get the process to follow the initial 'In Progress' outcome; the process terminates at the Initial Submit. The Initial Submit and In Progress activities use their own outcome fields in the form, but still seem to be conflicting.

Anybody successfully designed something like this before?

13118i0EE46B8440F2209F.png

3 replies

Badge +4

Hi BigD!

When you say that the "Initial Submit" activity is using its own Outcome field, you don't mean the one attached to that activity in particular, correct? It's actually form XML? There is no client event in your "Initial Submit" activity so the actual "Outcome" field for the activity would never get set (it wouldn't even get created unless you manually create it).

Have you checked the report for the process instance in question to confirm the form actually has the XML value you're looking for set at the time this line rule executes?

Can you attach a screenshot of your line rule? Or at least describe exactly how it's set?

Assuming the XML value is getting set as expected, the problem has to be with the line rule coming from "Initial Submit" to "In Progress".

HTH,

Tyler

Badge +1

The initial outcome is set in the form by the user in a drop-down with manual entries. No activity owns that field. The line rules coming out of the Initial Submit activity are looking at that field. They worked fine before I added the InfoPathClient event to the In Progress activity. While I was building and testing, that activity simply held a placeholder event (dead end). Just to be clear, with the process as-is:

Initial Submit to Submit to Technical Review: works

Initial Submit to In Progress: fails

13237i4DA4BC4C7BA963EC.png
Badge +1

Thanks for making me look at that line rule, 'cause the answer was right there: the field name was wrong. As for the looping activity, I deleted the Infopath event and rebuilt it from scratch and that seemed to fix that.

When all else fails, delete and start over, I guess!