cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

What permissions are needed to view a task not assigned to you?

This question was moved from a different thread - Richard Ruth

In my case I do not even want the user to respond to the task but only to view the details of the invoice. I don't mind if the get the red 'You are not authorized to respond to this task' message. Currently the users are getting an unhandled exception but when I look in the ULS logs it is this message. I get the nice red message because I got full control on the site as the administrator.

My user doesn't need to approve the workflow item. They only need to view the details of it. These would be store managers, district and area mangers.

So how to I allow people to view a task not assigned to them?

Labels: (1)
13 Replies
Not applicable

Re: What permissions are needed to view a task not assigned to you?

Richard,

I assume you are trying to allow users who are NOT assigned to the task to view the task details. You need to allow users who want to view tasks NOT assigned to them full control permissions at the site level. If they do not have at least full control at the site level they will receive a correlation error message from SharePoint like this:

Needsfullcontrol.png

When users have full control at the site level they will simply receive an error message at the top of the task like this:

fullcontroltime.png

Cheers,

Andrew Beals

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Are you sure full control is mandatory? Whole tasks are in the Workflow Tasks list, maybe you need only add permission to that list?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

No Andrew Beals is correct , unfortunately Full Control level is the mandatory permission to be only able to read the task (not approve it) which was the whole debate from a previous thread (link) and everyone reacting that it was crazy.

ie: we need to give full control to some Directors who may break everything like homepage by mistake just so that they can view what a user typed in a Workflow task response.

We were trying to get Nintex to react on this enormity and I think Andrew gave the answer. No other alternative. :-(

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Francois,

I can assure you we have little control over this functionality as this is reliant on how SharePoint handles tasks created by a workflow. You will experience the same functionality from tasks created using a SharePoint designer workflow as well. Here you can find a more detailed explanation of this functionality by a Microsoft representative: Workflow task permissions.

Cheers,

Andrew Beals

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I understood likewise Andrew Beals​​ ;-) we know that SharePoint does limit us much more rather than Nintex products since they are all based on it. Thank you for clarifying again.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

While I do understand Nintex rides on top of the core SharePoint workflow engine, there is a reasonable expectation that seeing how Nintex Workflow costs $10k+ up front, and annual $ thereafter, it'll go beyond the many limitations that exist in the core SharePoint workflow implementation.

I for one would welcome a Nintex solution that overcomes this amazingly irritating limitation; where you have to grant people Ultimate Destroy Everything rights just so they can view, or Heaven forbid, delegate, a workflow they did not initiate. Gut instinct tells me that operating as the service account instead of the initiator's account is key to solving this puzzle, but I'll leave that to the Nintex folks to solve.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Thanks for you answer, I have been trying to figure out how to solve this problem for 2 months. Though it is a shame that we have no power in fixing this issue, we can figure out different ways to get round it.

I personally typed the item information inside the e-mail notification the approver receives. You can put the form you want so it appears more ergonomic. Sure it is not included in the task response, yet the approver has a view on what he has to answer. You can also include the link to the item so he can have a proper view on the information.

Hope this helps,

Charles

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Andrew,

I'm not seeing the role that SharePoint plays in this. I am using a Workflow Task list. These are the item level settings of the list:

WorkflowTasksItemLevelPermissions.png

According to the SharePoint permissions set here  users should be able to read and edit all items in the list. Can you or someone at Nintex explain how this works in some finer detail? The link Francois provided (here) refers specifically to a SPD workflow but does point out that workflow respects the permissions on THE LIST ("... the task list items will inherit permission for the task list, workflow will not break the permission inheritance."). I take this to mean that if I am giving my users the ability to read and edit all items in the task list SharePoint workflows will respect this but Nintex Workflow does not.

Can you help us see the disconnect?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Not sure if its same for your case.

For mine, the user requires edit permission on both site level access and list level access in order to view the workflow approval page.

Does your users have to go to the workflow task to view the details on the invoice? Couldn't they just view the details of the item from the list?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply