cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

What is the difference between a site, list and a library workflow?

I'm going through the Nintex Workflow "Starting Your Workflow" chapter.

And there seems to be new items that I wasn't sure about.  I always thought a workflow was a workflow, but the chapter seems to imply that there are 3 types:

1) Site workflow
2) List Workflow

3) Library Workflow

What are the differences between the 3?  Thank you in advance!

Labels: (2)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: What is the difference between a site, list and a library workflow?

List & Library workflows are the same.  It's just one is on a list, and one is on a library.  These workflows are tied to the list/library they are created on, and can only be run within that list/library.

A site workflow is not tied to a list/library, but rather tied to the site.  It run independent of any item in a list/library.

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

List and library workflows are not "exactly" the same, since you have different actions in a list workflow and in a library workflow (i.e. "Read document" in a library workflow to read fields from a word docment).

But basically, list and library workflow can only run on a single item where site workflows are independent of a list entry.

One major difference between list (or library) and site workflows is that site workflows do not have a trigger (they can run manually or scheduled), where a list or a library workflow can be automatically started  when an item is created/updated.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Here is one of the tables from my class

sites and lists.png

Site workflows are great for things that you want to happen on a schedule such as getting the workflow to run at the end of each day on a schedule, for me this would be things like:

• Cleaning up a site - deleting completed tasks and copying files to my archive
  • Creating and sending out via email reports based on the files and items in my site
  • Validating data that is stored within my site by comparing data entered in columns to other business data like a price list stored outside of SharePoint

What version of Nintex Workflow are you using?

Assuming it is 2010 or newer when you have mastered list\library\site workflows then you should also look at the other types of workflow\workflow objects

• Reusable Workflow Templates - create workflows that can be associated with a SharePoint content type so that a workflow can be made available wherever that content type is used within a Site Collection
  • User Defined Action - create your own workflow actions based on combinations of existing workflow actions (its like templates on steroids)
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I recognise that Rob Pratt​!

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply