cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Wait for Item Update in a Conditional "OR" situation

Jump to solution

Perhaps I'm just not thinking this through but I have an item that has 3 separate approvers fields which makes up one "Section". I send notification to these Approvers and wait for them to go into the form and either select "Approve", "Deny" or they click on a button that "Resets All Approvals" and clears all fields (which will start approval workflow over again). There are several sections of these types of approvers.

In the workflow I send notification to these 3 approval groups and I need the form to wait until either "Section Complete" field = 3 (meaning everyone has answered), or Wait for "Reset Approval" field to = true (which happens when anyone clicks on the Reset Approval button).

My question is, how do I set a conditional wait for item update here? Or is there a better way/suggestion? (Please, no programming solutions). Thanks.

Labels: (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Wait for Item Update in a Conditional "OR" situation

Jump to solution

BTW, the short of this question is, "How do I make the workflow wait for one or the other field to equal a particular value?"

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Sheila

Would it be possible to use a separate "status" field for every section? Values for this field would i.e. be "approved", "rejected" and "reset". You would then have to check only for changes in this column.

What's the design of your approval process: Is it a "Request approval" action or do they have to open the form and approve the item there? And is it a custom or a default form?

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
patrick_hosch
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Sheila,

you can put a loop action in which keeps looping until one or the other field is set to a particular value. Within the loop action I would recommend to put a "Pause for" action and let the workflow sleep for 5 minutes. Unless it's quite a time critical process. Other than that there should be no additional action required in the loop.

cheers,

Pat

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. What I ended up having to do (and it's not pretty or clean in my opinion, but it works) was to create a checkbox and the checkbox becomes true if any of the conditions in the other boxes becomes true/complete. For example, if anyone hits NO/Reject, if all items of section are = Yes OR if anyone hits the Reset button. Any of these will cause the checkbox to become True which is what the workflow now waits on in order to move on. Then I clear the checkbox and start the next section the same way (since 3 approvers have access to approve their sections all at the same time before that section is considered complete).

Hope this wasn't confusing. But in short, just created a separate field to be the indicator.

0 Kudos
akrasheninnikov
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I would suggest adding a calculated column with =OR(condition1; condition2) as the formula, naming it descriptively, and waiting for it to change.

0 Kudos