Diagnose why workflow errored

Badge +5

We have a workflow that shows that it has errored. It is one that was created by an external consultant and I cannot see why it has errored, no meaningful message.

What is the best way to diagnose why the workflow errored?

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I like to start by viewing the workflow history.   The visual history is excellent on-prem and gives you a clue as to what action has failed.   Then you can use the workflow history to view the workflow details, which is a more text based approach and should give you more indication.   If you post your error here it will help us know what kind of error you are facing.

Badge +10

Did you try republishing the workflow, the workflow may be running under the consultant name or his account is not valid.

Or As Mike mentioned user workflow history, Was it running before?

Badge +5

The workflow diagram is showing that it's waiting for all tasks to be completed.

Workflow view

The detailed view is showing that item is incomplete

Workflow Details

Workflow messages are showing

Workflow messages

There isn't any details as to why it failed. Any ideas?

Badge +5

Hi Sojan,

This is the only item that it errored on, no other items that have been created since.

Thanks

Badge +4

Hi

Can you take a screenshot of the setup in your wait action and post it here?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Can you expand the various action set's in your workflow so we can see the actions within those.  It could be something in one of those causing the issue.  Also, does the Workflow details page show any incomplete tasks?

Badge +5

Hi Brendan

I have been through all the Action Sets and there aren't any errors being displayed. Any other thoughts? Can you view ULS logs or anything else?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

If I had to guess without seeing anything else, I'd reset your timer service, as this is a often a culprit when it comes to the waiting action / errors.  .

Badge +5

Hi Mike

I have restarted the Timer Service and will monitor this and let you know. Thanks for the tip.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

You bet, let me know if it resolves it, and if so please mark my answer correct so it'll guide others.  Thanks!

Badge +5

Unfortunately resetting the Timer Service did not help. Any other thoughts?