cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using the Query User Profile action, it's not bringing back multiple items. What am I doing wrong?

Hello,

I have a basic list that I want when a user is selected, the rest of the list is filed out based on profile properties. The workflow works great, minus it not bringing back multiple items for certain fields.

I have my workflow variables. the ones that have multiple selections are set to "Collection" as what I read it should be to get more than one item.

variables.png

Then my workflow has two action items... Query User Profile where I pick the profile options to match my variables.

And then to Update Item to sync up my list with what is filled in the variables based on what is queried in the User Profile.

profileworkflow.png

When workflow runs, the results only have the first item for Skills, Education, and Interests. It adds the comma like it knows there should be more... but nothing else.

profileresults.png

What am I doing wrong? Doesn't seem like I'm missing anything.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
mlauer
Nintex Newbie

Re: Using the Query User Profile action, it's not bringing back multiple items. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Stacie

it looks like a bug - same behavior in my workflow (Nintex Workflow 2013 3.1.1.0 - International).

You should contact Nintex support.

Kind regards

Manfred

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: Using the Query User Profile action, it's not bringing back multiple items. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Answer from Support:

Stacie,

After investigation, this is considered expected behavior due to the tag-driven metadata column types that SharePoint uses for user profile properties such as 'Skills,' 'Schools,' and 'Interests.'  Regular multi-line fields, such as the 'About Me,' property do not exhibit this behavior.

The user guide states, "Note: If a variable that is not a collection is selected, only the first result will be stored."

That would seem to suggest that multiple items from a single property could be stored into a collection variable. What it really means, is that multiple properties (Birthday, First Name, Last Name, etc.) can be stored into a collection type variable. Collection type variables can only store multiple items in a 'for each' fashion where items are added to the collection one at a time, so it is unlikely that this would have worked in the way we had hoped for to begin with.

Please submit a feature request at http://nintex.uservoice.com and let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

I've submitted the feature request.  Vote for it here! -

http://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/229405-1-nintex-workflow-for-sharepoint/suggestions/7663416-allow...

espradli
Nintex Newbie

Re: Using the Query User Profile action, it's not bringing back multiple items. What am I doing wron

I attached my workflow nwf file. Try and import it and take a look at how i got it to work. The "Who is it" column is a people picker in the list set to allow mulitple values.

0 Kudos
anthonyshelby1
Nintex Newbie

Re: Using the Query User Profile action, it's not bringing back multiple items. What am I doing wron

Sounds too complicated... Do you have already working solution to prevent or improve this behavior? If it adds the comma like it knows there should be more is it considered like an empty field?

do my homework online

0 Kudos