Workflow start only when item is modified

• 15 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi guys, 

I'm a new member/user of the Nintex application and this community so I would be very thankful if you help me out here, or at least provide me a link where there is an answer of my question below.
I have 2 different workflows created for the same list. One of them I want to be started when the item is created and the other one only when the item is modified. But, the second one ( start when item is modified ) I want to be started only when the first time the item was modified, which means once.
So, even though I have sucedeed with providing this functionality with additional temp column was involved, I have noticed very strange thing here which honestly I didnt expect: 
Every time after the ''Start when item is created" workflow was finsihing the second workflow 'Start when items are modified" was starting automatically even though the item have still not been modified.
Any idea why is this happening, why the order of the events receivers are replying to the Nintex workflow?
I expect when I choose the worklow to be started only when the item is modified to be started only that time and not in this way.

Is this is how the Nintex workflows are running and we need to adapt to that thing?

Thanks in advance,
Jovica

2 replies

Badge +5

Is your first workflow updating any columns/information for the item? E.g. setting status or updating the column you added etc. If so, this will trigger your second workflow to run as the first workflow is making modifications to the list item.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Jovica,

the first workflow might update the item internally by setting some workflow information which the second workflow is interpreting as an item update to handle.

This week we saw "conditional start" feature making it's debut to Nintex for Office 365. This lets you define a condition in which the workflow should run. Maybe this gives you the ability to make your handling more robust.

Best regards

Enrico