People Picker Error when field is blank

Badge +5

Hello Guys,

I have three of People Picker on a list. I use these names in an email that is generated using Nintex Workflows. 

Two (People Picker 1, People Picker 2) are required and one is not (People Picker 3). When the field that is not required is left empty my WF is failing. I've tried to trick it by adding a Condition Is People Picker 3 empty if yes update field with n/a that gives an error. I also tried to set a variable when the People Picker 3 is empty to N/A and that also errors.

In my email I need to state all three people picker fields.

Does anyone have any ideas how i can get this to work?

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Try adding a hidden PP4 named ppEmpty, then compare ppEmpty with PP3 in your condition

Badge +5

When you say the WF is failling, which action does it fail at? Is it the at the "Send Notification" action? If so, if you remove that people picker reference from your email does it fix the issue?

I would use "log in history" to print out the value of your people picker. I don't recall there being an issue with printing empty value of a people picker in email. ( I could be wrong!)

Badge +16

could you also do this with a person variable in your workflow without a default value and compare your third people picker value to the variable to check not empty.

are you just emailing these users or are you using query user profile actions or something on them?

Badge +5

Fernando Hunth

Sounds interesting! But I have no idea how to do that! Where do I start?!

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

An easy solution would be to have some conditional that checks to see if the third people picker has a value or not.   Then you use the Set a Condition action to determine which branch is executed.   If people picker is Empty you can go down the Yes branch and have the notification setup to send to only the first two people.  If the people picker is not Empty, No - then have the notification setup to send to all three.   The same thing can be created using "Runif" actions instead of a Set Condition.   Basically you end up with two notifications that are just addressed differently (either to the two people, or the three people).

Thanks

Badge +16

I think he just means to create an additional column as a people picker field which you never populate, thus it is empty.  then you can compare your people picker to the empty one.  if they match then your people picker is empty and email should not be sent.  if they don't match then your people picker has someone selected and an email can be sent.  does that make sense Melissa Castillo​?

Also, don't update people picker 3 with "n/a" if empty as that person won't resolve!

I would set a condition to check if empty.  if is, send email on that branch to two people.  if not, send email on that branch to all three people.

Thanks
Cassy

Badge +16

did you get any further with this Melissa Castillo​?

Badge +5

Hi Cassy,

So I worked around it a bit!  I was needed to information from the People Picker for an email notification. I was saving the people picker in a variable because I want the name to appear as " Jane Doe" not xyz/jdoe. I then used the variable in the email notification. But when the WF ran it was giving me an error is the people picker was empty.  I can not make the people picker required. So what I did was that I added a condition statement if empty update Variable with N/A is not empty update Variable with Persons name.  This way I'm not touching the people picker field and I can still use in in my email notification.

I still have no idea what Fernando Hunth was referring to!

Badge +16

So all resolved now?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Conditions are great stuff!

Badge +5

Yes it seems like I've resolved it laugh.png

Badge +16

can you close out the thread by assigning a correct answer please?