Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Use workflow in list a to update item in list c

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I have three lists on a site.  List A allows change requests to be submitted and then takes them through a workflow to gather approval and comments from several parties.  If approved, the requests get copied over to List B where they can be assigned a responsible party and due date with another workflow behind them to send reminders.  I would like to be able to output a list of all the requests submitted and the status of each of these items as they go through the process so people can see where their requests stand.

I am attempting to do this by building a separate list, List C, which reports the status of each item and is updated by workflows within List A and List B as certain actions are completed which would cause a status change.  However, the workflow for List A errors at the update item action every time.  I am formatting as follows:

Update: [List C]

Where: [Request ID] equals [List Lookup]

Source: [Current Item]

Field: [ID] 

Field: [Status] equals Value: [Submitted]

The Request ID field is a field in List C which is populated with the ID of the current item in List A when the item in List C is created.

Sorry if this is a poor post but I am new to the community and very new to nintex so would appreciate any feedback whether it be an answer to my question or advice on a better way to accomplish my goal!

Thanks.

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
18 Replies
murphybp2
Nintex Newbie

Re: Use workflow in list a to update item in list c

Jump to solution

John, welcome to the community and thanks for the question.  My first question, just to get a better understanding of what you're trying to accomplish, is why do you need 3 seperate lists for this?  Is there a reason you couldn't build the process all off of the requests in list A?  I know this isn't your question, but if you had everything in a single list, then you wouldn't need to do the multiple updates across lists.

If you do need the multiple lists, then for your specific question, what is the error you're getting? 

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response Brendan.

I originally started to build this as a single list and ran into a complication but for the life of me cannot remember what that was.  The planned functionality has changed significantly in the past few weeks and at this point I don't see any issue with building the entire process into one list though.  This is something I will pursue.

I cannot provide much detail on the error.  The message is simply "An error has occurred in Approval Workflow." and this is occuring at the update item action.

Perhaps I should attempt doing this in one list and get back to you on that.  

0 Kudos
murphybp2
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Well, that may make things easier on you, but that doesn't fix the issue with your update not working.  It should work.  You may want to check if the workflow is first finding the item to update you want it to.  Try a query list using the same logic as your update action, and just return the task ID to see if it's finding the task to update. 

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

After that test it appears it is not able to find the item in List C based on my logic.  Is there a better way to link these two items?

0 Kudos
murphybp2
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

What type of field is the Request ID on list C?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Number

0 Kudos
murphybp2
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Interesting. Just tried a test of my own and was able to get it to update. In your Update Item action, where you specify the field “ID”, do you have a button with 3 ellipses next to it? If so, what is the return type that is selected for that?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The return type for the ID field is listed as "As Double"

0 Kudos
murphybp2
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Well, not sure why it wouldn't work as that's how mine is setup also.  Can you provide a screen shot of the WF and your update item action?  Also, just to be sure this isn't a permission issue, do the lists have the same permissions?

0 Kudos