End User needs ability to Redirect Task they aren't assigned to, and move the Workflow process along

• 3 November 2015
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

I have 2 requirements that I'm not sure how to solve.  I'm thankful for any help/thoughts/guidance.

1. A specific End User needs the ability to redirect a task not assigned to them.  As a system Admin I can do this, but I don't want to give admin access to an end user.

a. Possible solution: Assign the task in question to the End User in addition to the intended assignee so that they do have the ability to redirect it from their work queue.  Is there a better way?

2. My process has, for sake of example, 2 gates; SME review and Compliance Review.  If the SME Review gate is taking too long because users are not completing their tasks, the End User needs the ability to close all open tasks and move the workflow along to the next gate, Compliance Review.

a. Possible solution: Develop a couple steps in the workflow with a task to action them for the End User that if actioned will complete all open SME tasks and move to the next gate.  If next gate reached without this task, close it at the next gate.

Thoughts?

(thought I had posted this before, but I can't find it.  If duplicated, please let me know.)

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Jamie

For question 1, task redirection is not possible unlesss the user performing the redirection is either a) the current task destination user or b) has process admin rights. That said, it is possible to use the K2 Workflow Management Service (from K2 Market) to perform task redirection as the K2 service account. This service has a "Task" service object with a Redirect method. The service account will still require process admin rights, and the service instance will need to use the service account for authentication. You will need to build your own SmartForms interface to allow users to perform the redirection. 

For question 2, a user can perform the "Goto Activity" command to move a workflow to another activity, however they need process admin rights. You can get around this issue again by using the "Goto Activity" method of the Workflow Management Service, and using the service account for authentication. Again you will need to build your own interface to allow the user to perform the Goto Activity.

Another option (I bit messy in my opinion) is to set the End User as a destination user for the SME Review activity, and to provide an action for the client event "Close" and allow the end user to perform this action.

Another thing to possibly consider is the use of escalations. You can close and activity (or goto another activity) if a task is not completed in a specified period of time.

Badge +4

Thank you for the feedback!  It seems that I wasn't too far off in what I wanted to do.  This will give me more to consider. 

Thanks!