Master Task List

• 27 April 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

We have portfolio of workflow solutions that currently run from SharePoint designer workflows. (12)

We are moving them to Nintex and are considering if we should have one large task list or have a task list for each solution.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Our transaction volume is about 8,000 approvals a month.

4 replies

Badge +16

It is really easy to configure the workflows to point to their own workflow task lists, so my approach would definitely be to separate the task lists for each workflow.  Our approach is to always have a separate task list and workflow history list for each workflow but that's not to say that is the correct approach. I am really interested to see what other community member's opinions are on this.

Badge +7

Hi

I agree with Cassy Freeman  We always have the workflows on a site point to the workflow task list on that site.  Sites at our company are usually department driven.  This helps with keeping the tasks with the workflows all on one site. We might have more than one list's workflow on a site pointing to the one Workflow task list on that site but then I will take special care in how I name the workflows to make it easier to build views on them. I also always create a view on my Workflow task list called My tasks which help the people in a department to quickly see their outstanding tasks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Great response Cassy Freeman​, if I could, I would tag this as a Best Practice!

It may not be necessary to create an individual task list or history list every time, but for any constant-repeatable workflow and those that need auditing often, you nailed the description of the best approach.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

One thing I would add to this is to review if each solution requires to be on the same site collection. If some are separated because the business department site (like HR) has their own site collection, then you can also create a separate nintex database just for that site collection.

If you want some background into more architectural best practices, here are some recommended readings:

Defensive Workflow Design Part 1 - Workflow History Lists

Defensive Workflow Design Part 3 - Separation of Concerns

Database Capacity Planning: Nintex Workflow

Database Mapping​ <- More details to this suggestion