Best method to update multiple items in another library

Badge +3

We have a document library (Source) with 4 fields that we would like to copy to another document library (Target).

In the Source Library:

Field 1: Choice

Field 2: Lookup (text values)

Field 3: Date

Field 4: Rich text

In the Target Library (fields will not need to be editable):

• Should Fields 1,2, and 3 be simple text fields?
  • Field 4 should be an exact copy of what is in Source.Field 4, including any rich text formatting. Target.Field 4 is currently a rich text field.

Should we just store these as variables in the Source library and the use Update Multiple Items action to copy to the Target library? Or, can we use Update Multiple Items to copy field to field from Source to Target?

The following configuration of Update Multiple Items does exactly what we want it to but copies the metadata from the Source to every item in the Target instead of just the item being copied from the Source to the Target.

Thanks in advance.

8 replies

Badge +16

you should just be able to configure the filter on the action you have screenshot to ensure only updating the item you just copied?

Badge +3

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. How do I create the filter to ensure the update is only on the item being copied from Source to Target? Thanks.

Badge +16

well what is the unique match between the two?  File name?

Badge +16

how do you create the item in the destination?  if using create item I believe you can grab the ID in the destination into a variable which you could then use in your filter?

Badge +3

I am using the Copy to SharePoint action to copy the file from the Source library to the Target library. Thanks.

Badge +16

so the file names should be the same - so you could use that in the filter.

but I would be interested to see what "Store result in" returns.  are you able to have a play with that?  if not I can quickly do it.

Badge +16

just seen gives you the url to the destination file.

I would filter where name = current item name

Badge +3

"name = current item name" did work. Thank you.

We ended up with keeping column names consistent between the two libraries and checking the Copy item meta data in the Copy to SharePoint action.