cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yvette
Nintex Newbie

Update item error - lookup item id and write to another column in same list

On a document library I have a workflow that will update the item for the column Volgnummer (index number) with the item id that is being looked up in the list. That's it, there is only one action.

The item is a document in a library. The column Volgnummer is of the type: number.

The item is always updated but I do receive the following errors and therefor the workflow is unfinished:

1. The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information. Unknown error.

2. The workflow Update volgnummer errorred.

What might cause these errors and how can I prevent/fix it?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
emha
Nintex Newbie

Re: Update item error - lookup item id and write to another column in same list

if "Id" column is lookup column to another list, it's internally in a form  ID;#VALUE so you can not directly assign it to number column.

changing return type to 'lookup value as number' should help

0 Kudos
yvette
Nintex Newbie

Hi Marian,

Thanks for your reply!

I am only able to select the option As Double (Default):

I have been thinking that instead of a list lookup I can also configure the action like this, with the reference used being Item property Id:

I have been testing both methods in my test environment with a string and number column. No errors! And I still wasn't able to select the return type for the specified column.

It might also be worth mentioning that we have selected to run the action as the workflow owner. Errors also do not occur every time a new item is added to the list.

Kind regards,

Yvette

0 Kudos
emha
Nintex Newbie

I am only able to select the option As Double (Default):

ok, that means "Id' is not a lookup column but it seems to be sharepoint's item internal ID

if you experience the problem just intermittently, it means your update action configuration is correct in general and it fails within sharepoint for some reasons sometimes.

I do experience similar errors randomly as well but have never been pinpoint exact reasons. I talked to our SP admin and it looks like it's related to overall performance/load.

here is similar post that gives as well some hints, maybe they help you The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a ...

0 Kudos
yvette
Nintex Newbie

You are right in mentioning that the fail is within SharePoint - and/or MacroView which we use for managing our DMS. It turns out this problem occurs whenever the user tries to upload a document by dragging it in MacroView from a folder to the document library while the document is still open in Word. She will receive an error message saying the upload failed and apparently when she then closes the document and uploads it again the item does upload but the workflow errors.

It is worth mentioning that the Id is still registered sequentially in the list, it just can't be looked up from the list in the workflow (see Id no. 3 in the list below).

Is this because the item is not actually 'new' since it's the second attempt at uploading?

0 Kudos
emha
Nintex Newbie

i do not know MacroView, so hard to say what's going on in the background.

can you try to write content of ID and Volgnummer field to histort log before update, just to see what they contain?

0 Kudos