cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Update Word document with entries from SharePoint List

I have a SharePoint list that I would like to populate a Word document from using a workflow.  Is this possible with Nintex?

I noticed this post:  https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-1258

Would I need to use content controls to this as well?

4 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Update Word document with entries from SharePoint List

Yes : Nintex worklfow is able to set some values in a Word document, where  this document contents Content Controls.

In the Update Document action, you will specify :

- the doc you want to update

- the Content Control that you want to update

- the value you want to write

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

This is VERY possible with Nintex - and it's a feature that makes Google Docs look like preschool in the business app world.

You need a few things:

1. First, you need Word 2010 or later - as this includes something called Word Services. If you have SP 2013 you might benefit from Word 2013 (But I can't recall if it's essential).
  2. Then you need to go to Word > Options > Customize Ribbon > and check DEVELOPER - This opens the Developer menu in the Ribbon
  3. Under Developer you can then access Content Controls. I prefer the Plain text controls but there are valid uses for Rich Text. I can't recall using the others.
  4. You then click control you want to add in the ribbon. It appears on the document page where your cursor last was.
  5. Click on Properties to change the name of the Content Control
    • Only use letters. I've had numbers bomb workflow.
    • Don't use spaces. For example, you might type LastName rather than Last Name.
  6. Once you have the content controls in your word document you then need to configure Update Action.
  7. I find it works best if the document you're writing to is in the same library as the source document. There are various approaches to building URLs in Workflows. I like to use Relative values and embed the build of them in an easily accessible place in my workflow for future tweaking.
  8. Once you have a Source and Output URL you'll be able to map List Items or Workflow variables (or static values for that matter) and Update Action takes care of mapping the value you've selected with the content control.

As a tip, when you first try this, just map one value/column with one content control. That way, you'll establish the document build with less risk of there being a value mapping issue. Start simple, and build up. Oh, and be mindful as these Update Document actions grow. I find after about 15 content controls the action takes longer to open. Add to too many values and things can slow down. If you have a need to map 20+ content controls then use multiple Update Document actions, with the Output URL of the first being the Source URL of the second (and allowing Overwirte document obviously).

Update Document is quite frankly one of the most powerful features in the Nintex toolkit. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Alicia,

Yes, you need to have a word document with content control in it, then "Update Document" workflow action is able to read it and update it by specified value, you can also refer this article for the same.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

If you have any issues with this please see blog post I have written:

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply