OK Guys I am going crazy, I am so sure this should work. I have a workflow that is attaching a url to a different list. Let me be specific. When a document is added to a document library, a workflow runs and sees if the document metadata has a choice column set to a specific value. If it does then it grabs the title from a lookup filed and goes to the list that value was just looked up from. It uses build string to build a url followed by a comma then a space then the word Others. So the string looks like http://www.google, Others. Then I do an update item and attempt to update the a url field on the target list with the string http://www.google.com, Others. I keep getting the error: The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information.
I have tried my update item with the workflow variable as a url, or as a string(default), but no luck. In other areas of this workflow I am updating the list in different ways if the choice field is different, so it is not permissions. I have seen countless posts saying all you have to do to update a url field is put in the URL, Description, but it is simply not working for me.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Sometimes all you need to do is post the question then the answer comes to you. In my example above I decided to mask the url I was actually saving as http://www.google.com. In fact I was trying to post a link to the document library filtered down to just show documents with a metadata field set. The url to get to that was almost 300 characters long. The actual issue was that the max length of the url was 255 characters. I had to find a different way to link to the document library. Hopefully that saves someone else the hours I just spent trying to figure that out.
Not sure how this resolved the issue. I have similar issue, just trying to update a field with a Office 365 Update Items action, and i've tried multiple ways to put the link and description, but didn't work for me.