cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Update Multiple Line (Enhanced) Column Type with a hyperlink using Update List Item Workflow

Good afternoon,

I'm attempting to create a project history log of completed tasks and uploaded documents for our sharepoint site. For example, when a user uploads a document, it will trigger this workflow and concatenate the current project history field (which is a multiple line column type) with details about this new document upload, including a hyperlink to the document. Its an effort to centralize all actions into one place if someone wanted to get caught up or learn more about what has happened in the project.

I've figured out how to construct all my strings and update the multiple line project history field with the format I desire, but I can not get a hyperlink to appear in the multiple line field. It always comes out as plain text. If I manually open the field, delete a letter and replace it, sharepoint automatically converts it to a URL. I want a clickable URL from a workflow.

How can I use a nintex workflow to make this work? All the formatting attempts I've tried haven't worked, from trying to update the field using '{url, description}' with and without curly brackets, using html <a href></a> tags, creating a hyperlink column then inserting that reference, and even changing the return type from string, to description, to plain text just to cover all bases. Nothing seems to work.

Is this just not possible OOTB? If it has to exist as plain text, its better than nothing, but its certainly not elegant and will become cluttered and hard to read over time. Any solution to what I am trying to accomplish is appreciated!!!

Thanks

-Adam

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: Update Multiple Line (Enhanced) Column Type with a hyperlink using Update List Item Workflow

Hi,

I'm assuming you're using a custom list with a multi-line text box that is set as enhanced rich text to hold the history?

If you switch versioning on and have the text append (see below), then the workflow can just update the column with the new information and the old info is retained.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Update Multiple Line (Enhanced) Column Type with a hyperlink using Update List Item Workflow

Thank you for the reply!

I'm confident I can do the append, but I don't know how to have  a workflow "update" with an active, clickable URL. It only updates with plain text of URLS, no way to make them clickable until you meanually open the list item.

Is there a way to do this?

Nintex Newbie

Hi,

If you need to see the versions of the history column in a view without having to open the item, you'll need to either create a data view web part and force it to show versions of the field or do some client-side rendering and query the version history.

Let me know if you need any more detailed info.

Jan

Highlighted
Not applicable

Sorry for the extremely crude drawing, but I'm at home and without visio/sharepoint

Basically, I want to put a similar workflow into all my separate lists and have them write a line item into a custom history list depending on which project it belong to. One project gets one entry in the list, and I will just append all details to that one entry. The idea being I would create a .aspx page for the project, and filter to only show the multiline text on the page via web part for that one project.

So in my History Custom List, project A will only get one multiline entry, project B will only get one multiline entry, etc. The idea is to essentially copy the current item entry when the workflow is triggered, and append new details to the top of the associated line entry. This part I can do, but I cannot append "friendly" URLs.

An example scenario for Project A  is the following

1. Eric completed some previous task on 11/5/2015. The "completed" status triggers the workflow and adds the pertinent details about that task (e.g. date, person, and details) to  the History custom list. The workflow finds the associated project by project name, and grabs that line item in the project history custom list. The workflow then appends the task from Eric to the top
  2. John had a separate task for that same project, and it was to make a finance report in Word. He uploaded on 12/31/2015, and uploading triggers the workflow. The workflow finds the associated project by that project name in the project history list, and appends the date, a friendly hyperlink url, and other details e.g. 12/31/2015 and John. This is the same project that Eric completed his task, so that single entry in the History custom list appends details about this upload
  3. And just for a further example, John marked the task to do the finance report as complete on 1/1/2016 and this triggered the workflow to add to the project History.

I've looked into just writing basic html entries to text via workflow, but I don't have the admin account to POST to a .txt/.html file.

I'm just looking for a way to aggregate all separate lists chronologically and format it in a "friendly/readabe" format e.g. "12/31/2015 2:00 pm - John uploaded (document url) to the document library with the description (the description john gave when uploading document to sharepoint)." Essentially create a project history wiki without having to duplicate efforts and have the users write their actions to a wikipage. Workflows would accomplish this for us.

Sorry if its gotten convoluted. Essentially I just want a workflow to be able to write a "friendly URL" but maybe my solution of appending all history to one multiline entry isn't the way to go. I can't think of any OOTB features to accomplish this, though.

nintex.jpg

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hi Adam, can I ask if you ever found a solution to create clickable URL's ?  I've been looking for a solution and it's driving me crazy.

R