Granting a User permission to set out of office for other users

• 24 February 2016
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

Hi,

I am new to K2 and would like to know what is the least amount of permission I can grant a user to allow him/her to set Out Off Office for other user. 

Is it possible to grant this permission for a specific process only ?

I belive I am using k2 version 4.6.9.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks.

5 replies

Badge +15

Hi,

You can set Out of Office for other users via the K2 Workspace.

First off, the page to set Out of Office for other users is in the Management Console. So the very first permission you need is to allow the user to access Management Console. You can do that from K2 Workspace > Security > Workspace Permissions.

Next, you will need to assign Admin server rights to the user using the Management Console. You can set the server rights via K2 Workspace > Management Console > Workflow Server > Server Rights.

Do note that giving admin server rights to the user basically allows the user to do quite a number of sensitive operations on the K2 server. So I recommend it is best to give that permission only to admins you trust.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi lpatel,

You may refer to this documentation for more information:-

http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/K2blackpearl/UserGuide/4.6.9/webframe.html#Administrator_Configuration.html

Additionally, Out of Office is designed to be scoped to a user and not to individual processes as the user can be a participant of a number of processes.

Badge +6

Hi Ipatel,

You can use the Exception Rule to achieve your 2nd question.

Exception rules are applied when the Out of Office user wishes to direct tasks of a particular event to specific destination user(s).
While the user is Out of Office, any items meeting the exception rule will be forwarded to those user(s) specified in the exception rule only, while all other tasks will be forwarded to the user(s) listed in the main Out of Office configuration.

Here is an example: the Out of Office user may want to redirect any Expense Claim Approval tasks to the Finance VP, but any other tasks should be directed to their peer. To do so, the user would configure an Out of Office rule to share all tasks to their peer, but then add an exception rule to share any Expense Claim Approval tasks with the Finance VP. While the user’s status is Out of Office, any Expense Claim Approval tasks for that user would be shared only with the Finance VP, while all other tasks will be shared with their peer.

Adapted from: http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/K2blackpearl/UserGuide/4.6.9/webframe.html#Setting_Out_of_Office_-_In_K2_Workspace.html

HTH.

Badge +1

Thank you all for responses. This is very informative. 

My main concern is the person requesting the access is not an admin.

He/She is an assistant to VP of a department. Our IT manager wants to grant this assistance access so that he/she can set Out of Office for his/her boss but he does not want to grant administrative rights to her. However based on  @boringNerd's comments what I understand is if I am to grant her this access it would be administrative permission on the entire Server. So I guess, this is not possible out of the box.

Is there any custom solution I can build for this ?

Thanks again for your responses. Greatly appriciate your help.

Badge +6

Currently, this is by design. Based on what I know, there isn't any custom solution for it. Unless you impersonate someone with admin rights on the server. 

HTH.