cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Update Item on External List

I am trying to update the fields for an item in my document set that uses fields from an External Content List. I can pick them from the Update Item form so they appear to be valid choices. When the workflow runs, the fields show as blank when displayed as a list item. When I click to View Properties, I can see the values I entered displayed. When I try to edit the item, the values are not shown for the External List Item fields, and if I save the unedited form, the values disappear from the View Properties form.

In the attached image, the "811" number is the ID of the External List. I know that is what the External List wants because when I enter them manually I get the display values I want to see.

Thanks,

Rob

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Update Item on External List

Here is a better visual description of what is happening.

ExternalListValues.jpg

Rob

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Nobody has an answer to this?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Can anyone help me understand why I cannot write data into an External Data column from a Nintex workflow? I am still having the same trouble with this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

I struggled with the same problem, and it will probably never work as you want. I thing the problem is that inside of this column there is a lot of hidden metadata (like ID of the record in original list) which you cannot pass to the element. I had to change whole architecture of my project because of this.

Good luck anyway

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Did you try update multiple item action instead? that way it points to the correct list and fields?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Thank you for your responses. I did not try the Update Multiple Items because I actually moved to a Create Item action instead of an Update Item. I doubt it would work. As Adrian has mentioned, and also numerous people on the Internet who are encountering the same issue whether they use Nintex or not, the external data column behavior in SharePoint has hidden metadata that prevents a workflow from writing values directly into them. Without a coded approach built into Nintex Workflows, I have come to the conclusion that this is impossible.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Rob,

have you succedeed in using a Create Item action? I've your same problem but I'm already trying to use a Create Item..

Thanks

Giacomo

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply