List Lookup: Check if user exists in list?

Badge +3

So I am trying to create a Leave Approval workflow and seem to have some unique requirements.

Basically everyone in our organisation need to be approved twice (once by their line manager and then again by the head of department).... well everyone except a certain list of users (executive staff).

I have two approvals set up but I want the executive staff users to bypass the first approval process.

The way I have set this up is to do a Run If and do a List Lookup. I am checking if the current user (Initiator) exists on another list - if they do then skip.

nintex-exec.png

Am I doing this all wrong? Is this not the intended purpose of List Lookup?

Thanks

4 replies

Badge +6

A List lookup is generally done via a QueryList Action (under List and Libraries).

Badge +11

Hi Josh Lukins ,

Isn't there a field in your list to identify the role of a person as Executive? If you have flagged that a person is executive then its just a matter of checking whether current item has that flag or not. If yes, then skip the 1st approval. Hope it helps.

Badge +3

Thanks Jaap, this worked for me. It made logical sense doing it in the Run If but using the QueryList action actually made it work.

Badge +3

Hi Donna

Here is how I did it:

At the top of my Workflow I have a Query List which stores the contents of the list of executive users into a variable.

I then run a Run If further down that checks if the Initiator is on that list. In my case I skipped them but I think you want to make the check where "contains".

When I was working through it it didn't make sense to me that I would need to have the Query List action when I could just look it up in the Run If. I guess that's the way it is - not elegant but it works.

n1.pngn2.pngn22.pngn4.png