Sharepoint Document Approval

• 27 April 2005
  • 1 reply

Badge +1
Hi!

I'm facing some problems with document approval.

What I want to do is: a user uploads a document to a certain library. It doesn't matter which user it is, the document must get a "Pending" status.

After that, I need the process to WAIT until a manager/admin approves the document, via Sharepoint. When that's done, I want to send a mail to the original user.

Now, I made a document library, allowed approval events etc. I've made a process which captures the insert document event, and after that there's an activity that puts the status to "Pending" (I do this because, in Sharepoint, the Approval status is automatically put to Approved if an admin uploads a document - I don't want that).

So far, so good. :-)

But now I want the process to WAIT until the document is approved before doing anything. And here's the problem: how do I do that??

I tried preceding rules in the activity that has to send a mail, and succeeding rules in the activity that puts the status to pending, but to no avail - the process completes without sending a mail, because the status is "Pending" and not "Approved".

So, instead of immediatelly completing, I want it to wait until the document is approved - after which the process can continue to the "Send Mail" activity.

I know this probably can be done with a client event bound to a smartform, but I don't want to use those - I just want to use the standard Sharepoint ability to Approve/Reject a document...

After I figure this one out, I'm planning on requiring 2-3 users to approve the document before sending a mail, but let's start with 1 :-)

Any ideas?

1 reply

Badge +1
Let's clarify a bit: I mean a way to do this without creating some kind of infinite loop that keeps on going until the status is changed...