Create AD User: \Invalid path or credentials\"

• 10 August 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

Hi.

I am trying to use the Create AD User action, but I get an error saying that either the path or the credentials are invalid. I have the LDAP path and it is valid because I can use a different set of credentials to query a test account that was created there and return a result. I also have the actual credentials and I know they are valid because I can log directly onto the server and create/delete accounts.

LDAP Path: valid because I can query a result

Credentials: valid because I can use them to log on and create/delete

Create AD User Action: unsure why it isn't working when the separate pieces that go into it work

I understand how this action is supposed to work and if I can figure out why I can't use it to connect to my server, I will be in business.

I think the issue lies with the credentials. For some reason, I can't go through the workflow to connect to the server. Any idea why my credentials would be invalid in the workflow, but valid when I connect directly to the server via remote desktop?

3 replies

Badge +7

Turns out the credentials we use could not access the AD from within SharePoint because they were considered "external". We created credentials that the AD would recognize and I was able to get it to work.

Badge +9

Hi Andrea Pasutti‌, I"m facing the same issue. The account we use is a service account that was created under the same domain where everybody else is in AD. As you mentioned, I'm able to query LDAP within the workflow and retrieve the information, I even queried the service account and was able to retrieve the cn name. Can you please explain more how did you create credentials or change it in a away that AD would recognize it? 

Just a little bit more about my case, I've got the credentials used in an old workflow in a "Create AD User" action where it doesn't show an error but I do pass it all the information and it runs and shows green but it doesn't actually create the account. 

I tried creating a new workflow and just pull the "Create AD User" action in it with the same credentials on the same env/same list. now I get the warning message that I cannot publish the workflow because the credentials are invalid. 

Badge +7

I asked our AD guru if he had to create something special to make it work. He said the credentials have no specific permissions in the company Active Directory. However, it does have specific permissions in the environment we are trying to connect to (user creation and directory changes replication).

Hope that helps!