Initiate a workflow when an Email is Received

Badge +2

Hi,

I was trying to find a way to initaiate a K2 workflow when I receive an email. I found a solution that consist on Adding the email into a sharepoint list then initiate the workflow once a new Item(which is the Email)  is added to that list.

My question is : Is it possible to initiate this workflow only if the email contains a specific word or has a specific Subject ?

Thank you

2 replies

Badge +8

At that level, I think you are going to start getting into polling your mail server periodiclaly and searching results.

If you are on Exchange, Microsoft has a pretty complete API.  You can even write a service to subscribe to new messages on a particular mailbox for faster notifications.

Badge +7

Enabling email on your SharePoint list may be the way to go.

I would say you could build a workflow on the List that fires every time a new item is created (an email is received).  Within the workflow you can either try to determine a line item off of the Start of your workflow that only allows the patteren in the subject line, or you build another activity within the workflow that tests the subject and if it doesn't match what your looking for, to just delete it from the list.